Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Target HR - Have I been wrong?

buffychick
buffychick
United States
2009/03/17, 02:48 PM
?m taking a fitness class through city college, and I found out my target heart rate when working out (hitting Aerobic exercise) would be around 145.
Generally when I work out, my heart rate ranges from about 165 ? 180.
Is that too high? Have I been busting my butt all this time, just to burn sugar?
I didn?t know that once your heart rate hits a certain point, and you no longer use oxygen, that you don?t burn fat anymore, just sugar. I though it was good to keep your heart rate up there. Do I need to slow down? My teacher says a slow and steady pace is best, but I?ve read everywhere that HIIT is the best for burning fat. In that case, your heart rate would fluctuate with your intensity. I am confused!
Also, I started doing the Atkin?s diet again ? it?s really hard for me, but it was the only thing that gave me results. It?s been 2 weeks, and I actually GAINED 12 LBS?!? I haven?t been entirely perfect; I?ve had a banana, and a non-fat latte here and there; I am so frustrated! I haven?t been gorging myself on food, or eating large amounts of fat. Any suggestions as to what the heck I?m doing wrong?
Typical Day ?
Breakfast ? 2 eggs with Sausage
Lunch ? Lettuce Wraps
Dinner ? Lean Protein / Vegetables / Steak, etc?.
Occasional glass of Sauv Wine - - BUT ONLY HAS 2.3G OF CARBS!

Mostly I?m concerned about the heart-rate issue. I don?t want to be wasting my time in the gym. Seems like as hard as I work, I should have lost something by now.

Thank you all for your suggestions and support!
Carlie