Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Body Measurements

jamesz
jamesz
United States
2002/04/07, 01:12 PM
What are the typical measurments used to help keep track of progress other than weight. I think knowing this will help me in keeping track of muscle put on as opposed to weight taken off.

Thanks in advance for your time.
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/04/07, 03:21 PM
You can measure various muscles around your body. I don't remember any but there are some sites out there tell you how to measure various body parts. I mostly would measure my stomach relaxed just above the navel and my bicep (with help from someone else) flexed right around the peak. Overall though you probably should get a good pair of calipers (the regular accufitness ones aren't too much and you can find them in lots of places) and track your body fat %.. If you get the regular one it has a chart for I think just a measurement of a skinfold from your stomach but there are also lots of sites out there that will help you calculate your body fat % with measurements from even more sites on your body like 3, 6, or 9(?) sites.. not sure but supposedly the more you measure the better idea of what your overall body fat % is... i'm pretty bad at doing this.. maybe rpacheo can help more..
jamesz
jamesz
United States
2002/04/07, 10:59 PM
Thank you,

I guess that brings up another question. Which muscles are flexed when measuring?
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/08, 10:45 AM
All muscles should be flexed. I usually measure my arms (biceps and forearms), high thighs, calves, chest and abs about every other week or after one month. These measurements are a good indication of how much muscle you have been able to pack.

--------------
**_Robert_**