Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Another Whey Protien question

darkrocker
darkrocker
United States
2009/01/25, 02:04 PM
Hi after being lazy during the holidays I'm starting to get back into my routine to get in shape for the summer. I have never used any protein supplements before and wanted to know if they would be of any benefit to me, I'm going for lean muscle. I'm looking at it more as a after workout recovery type of thing to speed up "protein synthesis" and only partially as a dietary supplement. I'm specifically looking at this:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=160948&catid=126601&aid=337953&aparam=body_fortress_super_adva&CAWELAID=61263098

They sell it at my job so I get a 10% discount which is nice. Anyway comments, suggestions lets hear 'em.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2009/01/25, 03:07 PM
This is always an 'insurance' policy. Extra amino acids will not hurt you. However, if you don't 'earn' it, and you are trying to lose fat, it will simply be added calories.

Know this....for many years before there ever was whey protein, umpteen top bodybuilders went home and ate. Or they did in addition to milk and egg protein.

I did this myself, as there was no whey when I began working out. So, what I am saying is there is still no 'proof' that whey protein immediately post workout builds an ounce of muscle.

In fact, if you look back at the original research for nutrient/glucose uptake it was done with endurance atheletes...i.e bikers, marathoners, etc.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer