Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Running pains, next step? This is long

asp17
asp17
United States
2009/01/13, 10:44 AM
I just registered with this site and haven't filled out my profile yet. I'm trying to find someone to give me advice on what to do next. Since October my husband and I have been trying to get in shape. We started the couch potato to 5K program. He used to be a runner, so he is now up to over 3 miles each time he runs. I'm a different story....first, I'm overweight. I have a high percentage of body fat, so I've been taking it slower. I have recently gotten to the point that I can run 2 miles nonstop. Which is amazing because I could hardly run for a minute at a time when we began. I'm much slower then I would like, but I can do it. I run 3 times a week and I work out at home 2-3 times per week. My at home workouts consist of the Firm Transfirmer DVD program and 2-3 miles on an eliptical. I have lost 20 lbs. since October 22nd. Well, just recently I've started having a lot of problems with my calf muscles, arches, and shins hurting. While trying to run my 2 miles last night I wasn't able to complete it. The pain was too much and i don't want to injure myself. So, now I don't know what to do. I don't want to fall behind from where I was. Running is a challenge for me, but I've come so far, I want to continue. I'm sure the main reason for the pain is the amount of weight that I have impacting with every step. What is the smartest thing for me to do now to help me continue to improve my health and body, but not have so much pain? I would really like to continue with the running. Any help you can give would be great!
alex_morley
alex_morley
United Kingdom
2009/07/23, 11:51 AM
ASP,

Having only jsut started looking around the site I only just saw this post. May be able to give some advice if this is still an issue?

Al