Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Resting in between sets

jamesz
jamesz
United States
2002/03/18, 01:38 PM
How much rest should a beginner use in between sets. For instance. If I am working shoulders, and I have two exercises to do for shoulders that day, Front Dumbell Raises, and Standing Lateral Raises, do I rest for a couple of minutes in between sets? Should I do the first set of one exercise and immediately do a set of the second? Should I do all the sets of one exercise before starting the second? I'm confused.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/03/18, 03:11 PM
Welcome to ft! You should use your search function as there have been a few posts on this subject.

In any event, if working with heavy weights, you should rest for about 2-3 minutes between sets. Since the first set is the "warmup" set, I tend to rest for about 60-90 seconds before starting the next exercise or set.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Alorle
Alorle
United States
2002/03/18, 03:56 PM
For my shoulders, I will do my half pyramid set with 1 minute rest in between each set, then a superset for my last set of 12, no rest then 12 of the next exercise. If you are doing two full sets of different exercises, I would recommend waiting 30 seconds to 90 seconds after each set (for arms, lower body you would wait longer), then two minutes between different exercises. i.e., you would do your front dumbbell raises with one minute rest between each set, then wait two minutes, and do your standing lateral raises with one minute rest between each set, then wait two minutes before moving to the next exercise.

--------------
"Do not try. Do. Or do not. There is no try" --Yoda
jamesz
jamesz
United States
2002/03/18, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the advice. I did do a search, and found some other information on this subject. Thank you both for your replies and your time.