Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

Getting hubby into it

fmcclain
fmcclain
United States
2008/11/29, 07:18 AM
Don't get me wrong I love my husband no matter what, but his weight is becoming a concern health wise. He looks in shape untill he turns around and you see his 9 month belly with a face to match. He literally STOPS breathing at night, and I'm afraid of him having a heart attack. No matter how much I diet and exercise he won't join in. He says he is waiting till we can get a boflex or something in that line before he will do anything. How can I get him to be concerned about his own health. He is 33, 6', and 280. I want him around for a long time. Any suggetstions would be nice.
DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/11/29, 07:49 AM
stops breathing? Get that man a sleep test. He has sleep apnea. This can be solved by weight loss though, seen plenty of examples.
fmcclain
fmcclain
United States
2008/11/29, 08:04 AM
He refuses to take a sleep test because he has to keep his CDL for work. So my only action to take is to try to get him to lose weight first. Then, if he still has problems, try to get him into the doctor..TRY.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2008/11/29, 08:51 AM
"waiting till we can get a bowflex."

You don't need a bowflex. An open floor and some headroom is really all you need... then you can start adding a few odds and ends. Bodyweight exercises will give him a great start without spending $1500 on a clothes rack.

Hell, when I started, I took a broom handle and taped milk jugs full of sand on the ends. A little ingenuity can save you a lot of money and your life.

t

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/11/29, 02:35 PM
DCmoody and Tim are right on!
I don't usually talk about me on here, I have sleep apnea, and I am on the road all day in a vehicle. With this disiease comes micro sleeps during the day, and before soemone gets killed get him in for a test. Untill he losses the weight, it can be helped with a Continuous Positive Airway Pressure machine (CPAP). What is a CDL??
And if he has sleep apnea it will be hard to doi a proper training session. For years, I always was wondering why I was running out of steam in the gym, until I found out about my 37 apneas per hour. The ones you are aware of are only part of the problem, there are 100's per night that you are not aware of (my wife thought I was stopping to breath one or two times per night). That being said, proper sleep is the key to wanting to exercise and also feeling better during the day. The eating style will help in long term.The way you describe him also sounds like he is a candidate for diabetes.
By the way, if you have insurance, they will cover the lab tests.
Feel free to email me here if you want , or he wants some support.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
fmcclain
fmcclain
United States
2008/12/03, 07:57 AM
A CDL is a special lisence that allows you to drive semi trucks, or, in hubby case, very large vehicles. Hbys CDL allows him to drive the big snow plow trucks and his bucket van. When we first met he was't much overweight and didn't have the sleep apnea, but as time went by we both got comfortable and gained weight together. Mine is more all over, his is all belly and face. We are going today to get a home gym. Now it's just how long he will use it.