Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Vitamin Rich Foods

Joyinthewind
Joyinthewind
United States
2008/10/10, 04:30 PM
I need to change my diet to include more calcium, potassium, and magnesium without adding more salt/sodium. I also need a comparable substitute for Spinach since I need to avoid Oxalic Acid "oxalate". Does anyone know of a weblink that has foods searchable by Vitamin/Mineral content? And, how can I add protein without adding more fats? Would it be a bad thing to trade Carbs for Protein? My body seems to bloat more with Carbs.

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated and will be well considered. Thanks! Penny
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/10/22, 08:58 AM
Raw nuts like almonds will prvide some of those nutrients without salt...

Some fat is necessary, so a little added fat with your proteins isn't the end of the world. lean chicken breast, turkey breast, egg whites, extra lean beef, bison, ostrich...

You have a lot of health issues, it might be the best advice for you is to see a registered dietician or nutritionist who can analyze your diet and suggest food choices that will help with your different conditions.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/10/27, 09:42 PM
If you stick to raw foods that haven't been processed, and stay away fromwhite rice and bread, you will definitely increase your vitamin intake providing you eat 3-4 times a day. It's the processed foods in boxes/cans that have the added sodium. As an example raw fish has hardly any sodium, but if you buy it frozen in a fancy box with a "light" coating of bread crumbs, one peice may contan as much as 1100mg of sodium. Just an example.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)