Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

stretching

sean67
sean67
United States
2002/02/24, 10:53 PM
I know I am supposed to stretch before and during my lifting , but I could sure use some suggestions on ways of stretching the different muscles...
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2002/02/24, 11:04 PM
There are a lot of stretches, do you have any muscle groups that you need the most help on?
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/02/25, 06:27 AM
Make you warm up before you start any stretching. Go here
for lots of info.
http://www.enteract.com/~bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/

--------------
....Bloom where you are planted....
Leslie
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/02/25, 10:24 AM
Also, use your search function. One of the members was good enough to list (and explain) some stretching exercises.

Good luck...

--------------
**_Robert_**
sean67
sean67
United States
2002/02/26, 12:07 AM
The ones that I could use the most help with is some basic chest and back ,maybe shoulders too...I am fairly new at this,but I am really into it,and I want to do things the right way to get the best results...Your info would be greatly appriciated...
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2002/02/26, 01:43 AM
A stretch that I like for the back is to just stand straight up and lean back from your waist until you feel a good stretch ( I got this from my yoga tape). For my shoulers, I just do some shoulder rolls (without weight) to warm them up.

--------------
Lisa
irontrainer
irontrainer
Canada
2002/03/02, 04:56 PM
Sean, I just want to let you know that even though people had previously stretched before doing exercise, they have a fair amount of studies on stretching. They found that there is no real benefit to stretching before exercising. The best way to begin a workout is to warm up on a cardiovascular piece of equipment, or do something to get your heart rate up, body temp up, muscles warm , and light sweat. If for example you are to start with a bench press, do not stretch your chest muscles before doing the movement. The best approach after your warmup is to do the bench press movement with a light weight for 15 easy reps to show the muscles what they are going to be doing. If you stretch your muscles before an exercise, a "Lag Period" results, where the actin and myosin protein filaments of the muscle are not able to fully contract. You see, the connective tissue of the muscle becomes elongated when you stretch, so when you perform an exercise the actin and myosin of the muscle contract to move a limb and create a motion. If you stretch you are limiting the body's ability to recruit several actin and myosin to provide a strong muscle contraction. In summary a) you will not be as strong b) and a potencial for injury is waiting. always stretch the muscles when you are completely done with them so you can limit the muscle soreness for the following day. Instead of stretching your chest statically before the set, perform the exercise, get up walk around, do arm circles to allow the blood flow to get into the area, clear out the lactic acid and rejuvenate for the next set. I know this is controversial to what most posts say so if you have any concerns, or further questions; e-mail me... thx and take care...
P.S in case you are interested I came across an article on here where a member pulled there chest muscle in between sets. i think the article was, chest injury Owee!! :) the stretching and injury could be related ;)