Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

? about deadlifts

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2008/08/23, 07:24 PM
Well for me...I pull on my toes really really bad. I got me a pair of weightlifting shoes....helped me to sit back on my heals better. But I have a 28in inseam...so even with shoes...29in inseam lol...no big long pull there lol

might be somthing seeing into if you have a tendancy to lean forward.

When you warm up.....stretch your calves and do soem front squats....they help me "learn" to stay on my heals very well.

--------------
\\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\\"

SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/08/23, 10:06 AM
Your form must be off.

I roll the bar to my shins and then I have a gage of where to lift off, sitting back but not deep like a squat, looking up and SQUEZZING my GLUTES and HAMS which helps my drive off my heels.

I have found that with squats and deads that people can have a glute firing issue when new at it as I did and it can make you go with the quads more and take you off your heels.

Focus on the squeeze and drive and it will start to come natural.

I took my time to grow a butt to get my glutes to fire.

Also stay the hell away from the mirror, turn around if you have to because I see allot of guys use the mirror with bad form because the follow the lift in the mirror with their head and start to round out, No mirrors in a compition right!

============
Quoting from devinm:

alright thanks for the advice guys. i have another deadlift related question.. lol. When I do them I don't feel as if I am falling back and driving my feet into the ground. Is there anything I can do for example some type of exercise that teaches you how to do that or will it just come from experience?

=============

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/08/23, 09:55 AM
I work a 5x5 so I dead after squats on light squat day and have no issues with food never have and I eat a big breakfast before I lift with lots of milk products so it's a person to person thing I guess.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
Devinm
Devinm
United States
2008/08/23, 03:38 AM
alright thanks for the advice guys. i have another deadlift related question.. lol. When I do them I don't feel as if I am falling back and driving my feet into the ground. Is there anything I can do for example some type of exercise that teaches you how to do that or will it just come from experience?

--------------
Veni,Vidi,Vici.= I came, I saw, I conquered.- Ceasar
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2008/08/22, 07:11 PM
But you prolly just have a easily upsetable stomach.

If you eat before..keep it light. No milk products.

V8's are good choices.

--------------
\\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\\"

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2008/08/22, 07:09 PM
Well this is IMO

I see no reason to do 15 rep deadlifts. I never go more than 5 reps. Even with warm ups.

I find it reall yhard to warm up deadlifts just doing deadlifts.

I bike for 5 mins

a super set of:
leg pres 20 reps( use same foot placement you pull with)
leg ext( i'm a very quad dominate puller/squatter)
abduction( warm up the hips)
back to leg press for wide...to stretch the hips

all that helps me limber up and warm me up. Especially days I get in the suit...I have to be ready to pull, cause we go up with 45s.

but I can't get warm just doing deads.

I alternate between 5x5, triples...and singles.
And we also do block pulls ever other week for 2x6

--------------

jbennett
jbennett
United States
2008/08/22, 05:54 PM
I feel the same way sometimes when I flip tires, so I know what you mean. My advice: Stick with the deads. Your body will eventually adapt to 'hold your food down'. Wait 30-45 minutes after you drink your shake to lift.

...And 2 minute rest for heavy deads? Try 4-5 minutes.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
Devinm
Devinm
United States
2008/08/22, 04:08 PM
well i was just doing warmup sets and i was doing 15 reps. then when i got to the first rep on a working set i only got halfway through because i felt my food coming up. lol i usually rest until i feel ready for the next set which is usually abou 2 minutes maybe more if im going really heavy. I don't know exactly what I ate before I went to the gym but I usually drink juice, water, a protein shake and have a meal before my workouts and I try to go about 3 hours after I eat.

--------------
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2008/08/22, 03:59 PM
I pull at 6am on fridays every week. I never eat a big breakfast....usualy a bowl of ceral w/ some fruit...some water. Maybe an energy drink on occasion for the caffine boost.

If you need energy eat some fruit or low carb enery drink. Most of your workout energy will have come/been stored from a previous meal..if not the night before...depening on when you eat/ workout.

Also you usualy push the abs out when pulling or squatting....no in.

Work on yoru breathing and body control.

what reps /sets are you doing?
how much rest between sets?
what is it your eating/drinking?

--------------

Devinm
Devinm
United States
2008/08/22, 02:54 PM
Why is it that when i do deadlifts they make me or almost make me throw up? Its not even like its nausea because I don't feel dizzy or anything its just like it makes my food come up maybe from bending over or sqeezing my abs to hard or something. I really would like to do them but not if they are going to make me throw up. Is there anything I can do to get rid of this problem? I thought of not eating for some time before the wokout but I don't know if i would have enough energy.

--------------