Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

New Routine...Advice/help wanted

Wilburburns
Wilburburns
United States
2008/08/01, 03:14 PM
OK, I have been doing a the Beginner Workout for Tone and Fat Loss from this site. I am currently finishing up week 7 and only have 1 week left in the 8week program. So, I am looking for my next routine and would like some suggestions.

Since, I can't get the Site to store my Goals and other info, I'll list them here..
Weight: 163# and Dropping Thanks to Amy's help with my Calorie Intake and Diet...
Height: 5'9"
Sex: Male
Current Goal: Drop Fat and Tone up
BF%: +/-20% at the End of May, Have not calculated Recently
Future Goal: Increase Size/Muscle. Not to become Huge, But just more Muscular and Tone. I have always been a small guy and would like to change that "after" I drop the Body Fat.

My Current Program looks like this..
Tuesday:back - shoulders - biceps - abs
Thursday:chest - triceps - forearms
Sunday:legs - calves

The Program also uses High Reps and 4 sets for nearly all of the exercises... Most of them look like this for Reps..
Set1: 20reps
Set2: 16reps
Set3: 12-14reps
Set4: 10reps

In addition to the weight lifting, I am also doing Cardio on the Same day. I try to do at least 15-20min on a machine. Typically, I will rotate between an eliptical, treadmill, Bike, or Stair Stepper. It really just depends on what I feel like doing that day.

Overall, I am happy with my progress so far. I am getting stronger, and I am Burning Fat and losing weight, so that is good. I'm just not sure exactly where to go from here.

Should I be doing less Reps and more weight, or should I continue with the higher reps?

I haven't checked to see what the site would recommend yet.

Cliff
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/08/03, 04:05 PM
I personaly have done this program a few times. Just start it over at the next level after taking a week off. The reps become less. Again the first set is a warm up and keep increasing weight. Good luck.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
Wilburburns
Wilburburns
United States
2008/08/03, 04:36 PM
Thanks, This is what I will restart this program and continue to increase the weights used...

For this program, what would you recommend for rest between sets? I have been trying to keep the time to less than 1min, but when my wife works out with me, that length is often times increased.

I also need to start keeping a log, which I didn't do the first time through.

Cliff
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/08/03, 05:52 PM
Keep the rest under a minute since you want to keep the HR up and doing this to reduce fat.
I know when one works out with a partner, most times between sets do take longer. I usually print out the program and fill in the blanks and that is my log. Also refering back to it is motivating.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
Wilburburns
Wilburburns
United States
2008/08/06, 04:49 PM
hmmm... I've been playing with the Personalized Workout script from the site. It appears there is a big difference in the type of workout and routine created if choosing Intermediate or Beginner.

The Beginner routines seem to focus mainly on the higher Reps for all sets, while the Intermediate workouts seem to have lower rep ranges for each set.

So, the question.... When to move up to the Intermediate Workout???

When am I no longer a beginner???? :)

Cliff