Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Diet plan for a hardgainer (opinions?)

kevonh
kevonh
United Kingdom
2008/07/23, 05:21 PM
^What would you recommend and when? My problem is that for me, this is eating a lot, so it's difficult for me to manage more. I guess as I do it more often I'll get a bigger appetite, but I was frustrated to find that I get full pretty quickly! :(
Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2008/07/23, 05:18 PM
id eat more and invest in some whey protein. i know the feeling sick of being small i was there once. i might still be in some peoples minds.
Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2008/07/23, 05:23 PM
DETERMINING CALORIES -- This formula is based on putting on muscle, not strictly body fat loss.

FORMULA FOR MEN:
from asmier in the frequently asked questions How many calories should i take in
A very active male seeking weight (muscle) gain = ideal body weight x 17

A moderately active male seeking weight (muscle) gain = ideal body weight x 16

Inactive male beginning a weight (muscle) gain exercise program = ideal bodyweight x 15

check it out its near the top of the page. so if you are aiming for 130 than you should be taking in 2210 cals. if you are very active.
kevonh
kevonh
United Kingdom
2008/07/23, 04:56 PM
And when I say hardgainer, I mean VERY hardgainer!

Hi there. My name's Kev and I've just stumbled across this place while finding out advice for beginning a workout plan to put on some weight! I've been drafting up a diet plan which I want to stick to along with working out.

Basically I haven't worked out for years, and just joined a gym which I went to for the first time today (horribly embarrassing experience, but I'll press through it!).

What I'm looking for is if some of you knowledgable people can take a look at my diet plan and say whether you think it sounds good, or offer any suggestions.

I've never been someone that starves myself, I've always just eated what I wanted, when I wanted (often not great food). I eat just as much as the average person (if not more!) however I'm 22 and am 5 ft 10 and only about 125lbs (no I'm not joking). I've always been embarrased by my weight, and have always been thin, but I'm really determined to change that. Now that I work at a university where there is a gym on-hand, I really have no excuse for not going in after work!

Anyway, I digress... I've been doing some research on the internet as to the kind of foods I should be eating, and when. Keeping in mind that I should be eating often, rather than in bursts (I am a nightmare for waiting til I am really hungry, then eating a big meal)

For the past couple of days I have been using the following diet, yesterday I just followed the diet, and today went to the gym for the first time.

7am - When I get up I drink a glass of water to get my juices going and hop in the shower. Then I'll make some breakfast:

- 3 eggs (I only leave one yolk in, and just eat the whites of the others)
- 1 slice wholemeal toast
- Some natural yoghurt
- 1 glass of fruit juice

8am - On my way to work I'll have a banana.

9:30am - When I'm at my desk I have some cashew nuts.

10:30-11:00am - around this time I have a 15 minute break, where I'll have a sandwich, either cheese or tuna with wholemeal bread.

12:00 - Here I'll have another bit of fruit, either an apple or a banana

13:00 - Lunchtime

- Sandwich or a baked potato with tuna
- Soup (sometimes, depending on how full I feel)
- Yoghurt
- Something else like a muffin (not very healthy haha)

15:00 - Back at my desk I'll have an apple or something.

15:30 - About 1.5 hours before my workout, I'll have a weight gain shake (I use the Body Fortress Muscle & Weight gainer)

Then I'll go to the gym... I am only planning on going once every second day, at least initially. I went today and can already feel that I'm going to be stiff and sore tomorrow. I focused only on the weights, and didn't do any cardio (I don't see how that will benefit me?)

Then straight after my workout I have another shake, and a banana.

7:30 - By the time I get home it's about 7:30 and dinner time. For dinner I'll change it up (gotta keep it interesting, right?). Last night I had chicken breasts with pitta bread and salad. Tonight I had mackerel and rice. Tomorrow I might have steak and potatos or something.

Then, before I go to bed (11:00 roughly, depending on how tired I am) I'll have something else to eat. Maybe some banana and yoghurt.

--------------------------------------

Congrats if you made it through that! Does that sounds like I am on the right track? Does anyone have any other suggestions to increase my chances? Even some work out tips would be great. I'm typically going for the highest weight I can manage 8 reps of. Today was pretty awful - I went around the machines but by the time I got to the free weights, my arms were like jelly and I couldn't lift my waterbottle let alone a weight haha. Next time I'll go to them first, I think.

Thanks again to anyone who can offer me some help!

Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2008/07/23, 05:27 PM
yeah getting used to eating a ton can be hard at first and then you become hungry all the time. i like to have a protein shake when i wake up pre and post workout and right before bed. its a lot of extra calories making it easier to reach your daily calorie quota.
Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2008/07/23, 05:31 PM
make sure you do all the big workouts deadlift squats and bench press. don't expect results right away expect about 7-10 lbs of muscle a year. since you will be bulking expect a little fat but don't worry you can lose that later when you have packed on some muscle. im bulking right now.
Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2008/07/23, 05:36 PM
at age 22 you have a lot of time to get big. aim for the 6-8 rep range for mass but since your just getting started than you can aim for the 8-15 rep range and make decent gains. this site is a gold mine of information i was really impressed when i found it. good luck and if you have any more questions just ask.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/07/30, 07:25 PM
Increase your protein intake, one way or another. Shakes make it easy to bring up your intake, have a scoop of whey with your breakfast, in addition to the eggs.

Everyone who is not genetically gifted is a hard gainer, IMO.

Stay on it at the gym, eat a lot of good proteinand complex carbs and you shold see mass gains.

And I agree, your cardio isn't necessary right now.

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach