Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

lose fat gain muscle? is it possible?

Grizzle
Grizzle
Canada
2001/10/30, 12:24 AM
Hi, thanks for answering my previous questions.

So, now for my next problem. I'm 24 6'4" and 185lbs, sounds too thin I know, but I'm telling you I have a huge amount of unwanted rolls and fat in the wrong places. I want to lose the fat and I know how, lots of cardio, BUT here's the catch, I want to increase muscle mass(not huge amounts, just a bit) as well, and from all I've been reading here it seems as though I have to pick one or the other, either: lose the fat or gain the muscle. I feel like I want to make muscular gains and fat loss, is it possible to do both at the same time? or do i tackle one issue and then take on the next?...suggestions please. Thanks!
the_w8lifter
the_w8lifter
United States
2001/10/30, 09:22 AM
Doing both is possible, but it takes discipline. This summer, I improved my bench press by over 30lbs and lost over 20lbs of weight. The trick is to balance the cardio and weight training so that the cardio does not burn the muscle you have built. To lose weight, you simply have to create a caloric deficit. For example, if your body weight stays the same at 3000 calories, consuming only 2800 will cause you to lose weight. That is a very simple example. As you increase cardio, your body burns more calorie. The result is that the 200 calorie deficit you have created by your eating habits turns into a 500 calorie deficit because of the cardio. Sounds great, huh? It is, except that your body needs the extra fuel for muscle building and maintenance. If your caloric deficit is too great, your body must look for other sources of food. Your muscles become that food. Now that the principles are understood, how do we balance the weight loss-muscle gain game? First, try to establish your body's caloric need. If you have not gained any weight over the past month or so, think back at your average daily caloric intake. This will give you a rough estimate. At first, create a 200-250 caloric deficit through eating habits. This can be accomplished very easily. The next step is too eat five to six meals a day. Many people recommend this but do not understand the purpose. This gives your body the opportunity to power itself off of the food in your stomach rather than your body. This also prevents you from having serious hunger cravings and busting your entire diet. You may ask, if my body is using the food in my stomach, am I going to lose any weight. Yes, remember, we have already created a caloric deficit. By spreading it out over the course of the day, we have accomplished the goal without creating an opportunity for our body to feed on our muscle. Remember, low fat(30 a day), moderate carbs(500-600 a day), and moderate to high protein(185-200 a day). The protein is the key to muscle building. Cardio has the greatest fat burning effect in the first 30 to 45 minutes. If you go beyond this, your body starts dipping into other areas of the body. Do your cardio before your first meal. This causes the body to use the fat first. A post-workout meal will fill your stomach and start supplying your muscles with the necessary rebuilding fuel. A good workout split might be:
Monday - upper body
Tuesday - Cardio
Wednesday - lower body
Thursday - cardio
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Repeat cycle above

This is a very basic beginners plan. I can get much more specific. The FT plans are pretty good as well. I find them too rigid for my specific goals however.
fan2c
fan2c
United States
2001/10/30, 02:33 PM
Sounds like great advise. Very informative for me thanks Ill use this info for my own needs. Have a good one. Take Care
Grizzle
Grizzle
Canada
2001/10/30, 09:51 PM
thanks for the sound advice :D
dr_martens_boot
dr_martens_boot
Saudi Arabia
2001/12/10, 08:12 AM
Yep its possible!!! Whats your diet like? Go for a high protein low carb/fat diet you should intake approx 1-2grams of protein per lb of body weight. Also try to keep your calories at a deficit ie:below the bodys normal requirements of 1,500 cals.
Have a look at an article on losing fat & gaining muscle on
www.muscletalk.co.uk its a great website...
I am proof this works i've lost more than 1" off my waist but put between 5-10lb on...