Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Forearm workouts

TWeston11
TWeston11
United States
2008/06/07, 07:38 PM
Hello I've been having trouble finding a forearm workout that really works. Other than my compound lifts (deadlift hangclean etc) I don't do much for my forearms other than reverse curls about once a week. What should I do to bulk up my forearms/have a stronger grip?

The same could be applied to my calves!

Thanks
txbazzman
txbazzman
United States
2008/06/08, 02:38 PM
do you do regular grip curls. I find switching it up helps
2008/06/08, 03:06 PM
Check out www.gripboard.com
you will have to sign up, but its free.
good luck
cflife
cflife
Australia
2008/06/21, 11:59 PM
G,day mate
i find the best exercises for the belly of the forearms are.

pick 4 exercises per wokout, do 1 set each after 2 warm ups, (no more)

1. reverse standing wrist curls with a straight bar heavy as possible 6 to 10 reps.

2. hang off a chin bar and curl your body weight with your wrist.

3. seated wrist curls.

outer forearm

4. standing reverse curls

5. seated reverse wrist curls

6. hammer curls
a couple of these exercises are a bit weird but i tryed them whilst training at home and find them very good.
Im 5 feet 6 inches with very developed forearms that measure 16 inches cold it has worked for me.
cheers mate hope this helps.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/06/22, 04:27 PM

============
Quoting from TWeston11:

Hello I've been having trouble finding a forearm workout that really works. Other than my compound lifts (deadlift hangclean etc) I don't do much for my forearms other than reverse curls about once a week. What should I do to bulk up my forearms/have a stronger grip?

The same could be applied to my calves!

Thanks
=============
Hands down the very best forearm exercise is the Farmer Walk and it will also help out your grip tremendously!

All these little fluff moves of wrist curls and stuff will do little for grip and it looks like you want what work both the grip and forearm the best then do heavy Farmer Walks.

If you can't get Farmer Handles just use heavy dumbbells.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/06/22, 04:31 PM
For your calves you can hit them heavy and light, sets of 5 to 8 and then sets of 12 to 15.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
Mdenker6
Mdenker6
United States
2008/06/23, 03:53 PM

Something you guys might want to try for your forearm belly that has worked better for me than a lot of other things is
a (belly of the forearm) extreme stretch done exactly after biceps or wrist curls or whatever you are doing for forearms.
Its as simple as this--once you?ve done biceps and forearms and have already stretched your biceps--or directly after
your last rep of seated wrist curls...sitting on a seat with your forearms resting on your legs and the barbell in your
palms face up...let your hands sag downward and let the barbell roll down the palm of your hand and hold onto it with
your fingers until you feel that stretch and then the fun begins (30-90 seconds that?s what your trying for)..don?t let the
topside of your hands hit your shin because that defeats the purpose....at about 30 seconds you?ll start shaking...45
seconds your head will be twitching from side to side because there is so much pain and it feels like your going to lose
the barbell with your grip and if you make it to 60 YOU ARE THE MAN...but 90 seconds is the goal...(trust me you
wont make it--its too fucking painful)....you?ll get to the point you?ll have to drop the barbell on the floor and take 30
seconds just to get your wits about you. Be very careful with this movement, I don?t want you tweaking your wrists
here so be cautious. For those who do this, take a long look at your forearms the very next day in the mirror, flex your
forearm and I think you?ll be very surprised at how different/swollen it is. That?s all that needs to be done---let me
know 3 months from now how different they look
blue77
blue77
United States
2008/08/18, 11:08 PM
I would work forearms first in your workout if its a lagging bodypart,the first exercise i would do is standing wrist curls with the bar behind you,this works the finger flexors,then i would do reverse wrist curls with a bar or dumbbell,do these to exercises twice a week,if you work your forearms to much youll have a hard time doing your back and bicep work...