Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

hey w8lifter recovery?

justme
justme
United States
2001/08/10, 12:09 AM
when you lift your putting stress on your muscles that they
are not use to, which tears your muscle fibers, in order for them to heal( recover ) you need sleep, each time you tear the muscle fibers they will grow back stronger and bigger, and when you sleep is when you grow, thats why you need enough of it
the_w8lifter
the_w8lifter
United States
2001/08/10, 12:09 PM
The phenomenon you speak of is microtrauma. I understand this quite well. Sorry if you thought I was implying that I didn't know what you were talking about. Actually, you grow at all times of the day, not just during sleep. There are HgH hormones released during sleep that aids in this process, but it is not the "only" time you grow. My response to your other question regarding sleep was a question about your personal routine. Recovery times vary depending upon the stress placed on the muscles. Fast-twitch and slow-twitch muscle fibers recover at different rates. Also, each individual has specific body parts that recover much more rapidly than other. Your question regarding sleep was much too broad to give a specific answer. That is why others too asked for specifics. If you want a general answer, here you go. Eight hours of sleep is generally necessary on days before you lift. However, many feel that this does not have to be continuous. I try to get 8 at night, but also try to find time for a 20-30 nap in the afternoon. This nap conincides with the natural sleep cycle fo the body. It is short enough so you do not experience REM. This is a much deeper level of sleep which is not beneficial for reenergizing the body.