Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Cardiac Patient Needs Advice

vincelee
vincelee
United States
2008/04/18, 07:08 PM
Hello all,
I am a 37 year old male with congenital heart defect. I have been exercising for many years but I want to make it to the next level; six-pack abs and a lean body like Bruce Lee, not a body builder. My limitations (per cardiologist) is to not lift so heavy to where I have to grunt in order to make it happen and I should keep my reps high and not as low as 2-8. I am 5'6" and 135lbs. My o2(oxygen) saturation is at 91% and I can do 30-45 minute cardios and weights. However, I don't know what is my max heart rate because I'm a bit nervous about testing that out for obvious reasons:) My energy level is high and I am in pretty stable health in general.

So, how should I test my max heart rate or should I? What kind of diet should I follow? How many days per week should I exercise for quickest results?

Thank you in advance for anyone who responds!:love:

--------------
\\"Don\\'t take life to serious, it isn\\'t permanent.\\"
georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2008/04/19, 08:40 AM
Vincelee... there is a guy who used to come here alot that has a carbon valve.He has done great! HE is out of town until next wednesday but I will leave him a msg to stop by and talk to ya. Good luck

--------------
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.---Helen Keller
vincelee
vincelee
United States
2008/04/19, 12:51 PM
Gratzi, GeorgiaGirl!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/04/19, 10:11 PM
First off , your cardiologist should tell you what your max heart rate should be with your condirion.
To find out what one's Max HR should be do the following:

220-your age37 =183= your max hr for a healthy heart. A healthy person, no heart problems would likely go up to 85% of this but in your case ASK YOUR DOCTOR. The internet is a dangerous place for medical advice.

Also, to get the results you are looking for "like Bruce Lee", diet is key.
Good Luck Vince, and remember, ask your doc.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
vincelee
vincelee
United States
2008/04/20, 09:10 PM
Thanks Carivan--I have to admit I don't follow most of what my doc says. For example, the norm for us cardiac patients were to be in bed or sedentary and wait to hear the fat lady sing. I never listened; played high school tennis on the team and trained with weights and did a bit of cardio ever since first year of college. 18 years later, I am still alive, work 3 jobs (two are running my own business), work out like mad, drink like a fish(slowing down on that though:)) The cardiac friends who listened to the same docs are either 6 feet under or pulling O2 tanks and on disability. The docs are now saying everyone (including those in heart failure) should get some sort of exercise daily. I may be over-doing it but the point is that sometimes you have to listen to your own body as well. I believe the human instincts of themselves is as close as you can get to perfect medicine.

In general, you are right though--those who are new patients and are not tuned to their bodies should really listen to their docs.

Thanks for the thoughts!

BTW, I was told by some gym trainers to only workout each muscle once per week and not exercise more than 3-4 days per week with a 20-minute post-workout cardio while keeping the HR at 137 through the duration of the weights and cardio. Is this enough to gain some muscle and lose the excess fat? ...along with the right nutrition. I'm not looking to become a body builder but it would be nice to look great in clothes and at the beach.

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/04/21, 03:48 PM
"BTW, I was told by some gym trainers to only workout each muscle once per week and not exercise more than 3-4 days per week with a 20-minute post-workout cardio while keeping the HR at 137 through the duration of the weights and cardio. Is this enough to gain some muscle and lose the excess fat? ...along with the right nutrition. I'm not looking to become a body builder but it would be nice to look great in clothes and at the beach."

If you have the opportunity to go five days a week then do it. Your muscles will benefit from thr recovery time, and will also be used during secondary movements just the same.
Cardio is what keeps your heart and lungs strong, but I will not recommend a HR level due to your condition, like you said, listen to your body. Keep up with the positive attitude and good luck. Remember also diet is key to the look you are seeking.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)