Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

carbs after weight lifting

kc101
kc101
United States
2008/04/10, 04:55 PM
What would happen, if after a fairly intense weight training workout you don't eat carbs afterwards (but still consume protein before and after). Is it absolutely necessary to eat carbs after a workout to gain the most benefits?
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/04/10, 10:24 PM
Have a protein shake, within 30-45 minutes. If your purpose of the intense workout is to get leaner, don't have carbs after.You will just be replacing what you have burned.
If you fill out your profile we can give you better info.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
kc101
kc101
United States
2008/04/11, 02:42 PM
ok, so if you want to gain lean muscle you shouldn't have carbs? When should you have carbs?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/04/11, 04:44 PM
A protein drink has been shown to increase recovery time by assisting lean tissue. The carbohydrate along with it increases glucose to the muscle, causes insulin release, and allows uptake into the muscle cells. This is very 'black and white', and trying to be here without 'technicals'. At the very least, carbs can allow more of the protein injested be 'used' for the purpose you desire, muscle building. Again, this is theory in many ways, it has been of course proven time and again that glucose uptake is speeded up with a simple carb, but this is highly beneficial to endurance athletes, and there is not really a shred of evidence to prove it assists in muscle building. Looking at the surface, it would make sense, but then again, who works out with weights that rivals an endurance trainee? So, is the glucose speedy uptake really necessary? I would judge your needs by your workout intensity. If you do not 'earn' it, in other words a workout where you are 'drained' or feel the need, then it is probably just extra calories and not really needed. This in fact is detrimental if you are dieting. Hope some of this makes sense.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

kc101
kc101
United States
2008/04/12, 09:57 AM
yes, i sort of get it. right now i've cut back on carbs in order to lose fat- i get all my carbs from vegetables, and very occasionaly small amounts of fruit. i probably should have mentioned it before...i expect because of this, after weight training my muscles will be pretty low on glycogen. I was wondering if i should up my carbs a bit on weight lifting days or not (still counting calories) or if it is pointless?
And what about slow release carbohydrates after workouts? eg beans, lentils, oatmeal..
sorry for all the questions, i just want to make sure i understand completely the effects of what i do!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/04/12, 11:25 AM
Well, let me put it to you like this. When I contest diet, I approach my carb intake (as it really becomes low late in the diet) so that I do not 'scrimp' on my recovery. As you get lower in bodyfat, glucose becomes more 'premium' as you are taking in much less carbs, and exercising to a great degree (high intensity like HIIT, even weight days become more of a HIIT type workout). So, in this case I believe carbs are essential post workout, and better to cut them the rest of the day. However, again, this is late in contest training, where workouts rival an endurance athletes workout. So, mull this information over, see between this post and my prior post your 'necessities' fit, and utilize such a protocol that fits your needs.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer