Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Push to what intensity?

doelso
doelso
United States
2001/05/22, 05:09 PM
I've just started this program this week (thank you freetrainers.com). I'm a little confused about how hard I'm supposed to be pushing myself for each set. Up to this point in time I've been doing the Body-for-life routine (Bill Philips). He explains the intensity factor very well in his program but I haven't seen the kind of gain I would like - hence my enrolement here. The BFL program has you hitting each muscle group with 6 sets: 1st set @ 12 rep with 50% intensity - basically a warmup set with a weight you can easily handle (the way I was determining the starting weight was a weight at which would take me 24 reps to muscle failure). Subsequent set intensity was as follows: 10 reps @ 60% intensity; 8 reps @ 70% intensity; 6 reps @ 80% intensity; 12 reps @ 90% intensity then without resting, hit the same muscle group with a different exercise and attempt 12 reps @ 100% intensity (at or very near muscle failure). Now - that was a long explanation leading up to my question about the routines here. There is no discussion about intensity in the routines defined here: Are we supposed to be using enough weight to be at or near muscle failure for each set at the prescribed repetitions? How much recovery time are we supposed to allow between each set (seems to me that if your always pushing close to failure then a little extra time between sets is necessary)?
merlinhog
merlinhog
United States
2001/05/22, 05:19 PM
I think you should focus on slowly building up weight in reps so your strength, endurance, and mass all increase. I rest about 1 to 1 1/2 min. in between sets. I guess it depends on which program you choose also. I am doing the 12 week mass program and so far after 4 weeks, it's working well. I'm getting stronger and bigger. I really enjoy this site and I hope you do too. Stay focused. The Hog.
Uttiya
Uttiya
India
2001/05/23, 12:53 AM
I always believe that you should not workout to your max. capability in the gym.......I believe a good 80% to 90% is fine enough.If I do 6 sets of an exercise, Ill push myself 100% on only 2 to 3 sets in the middle of the 6 sets.
Arnold
Arnold
Canada
2001/05/23, 01:26 AM
Hey doelso,

maybe I can shed some light. I would think that 6 set per exercise is too much. I prefer 4 sets (1 warm-up and 3 working sets). The first set should be 12-15 reps to get your joint going and blood flowing as well. The 2nd set should be a bit more intense (75-80% intensity). Then the last two sets should be 110% intensity (safe of course). The idea is to fail at 1 or 2 reps from your target reps, then get a spot to help you attain those.

Resting between sets is not a number written in stone. You must make your own judegements.. the usuall time is 90-150 second. During this time, drink some water, flex and stretch the muscle at work.

Well that is all I have to say for now, if you need more specifics - reply.

.o0 Arnold 0o.
keith
keith
United States
2001/05/23, 01:40 AM
hi doelso, I too started the body for life program and like you I have started freetrainers. The body for life program made me very tired before I finished all my sets, and very seldom did I have any muscle soreness and as a results I got the same progress as you did. I like what arnold said in his explination of intensity.Give it a try and let us know how you do.