Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Book comparison question

2008/03/13, 03:03 PM
Hi all. I'm reading two books at the same time right now. One is "Food for Fitness" by Chris Carmichael, and the other is "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler, Cassandra Forsythe, and Alwyn Cosgrove. Has anyone read one or the other (or even better, both) of these books? In "Food for Fitness" Chris lays out a periodized nutrition plan for athletes that changes every few months. The macronutrient ratios vary from 65% carbs-13% protein-22% fat to 70-14-16 to 60-18-22. In "New Rules for Women" Schuler advocates a general macronutrient ratio of 40-30-30 (made famous by the zone diet but not advoacated here b/c of the zone diet). I left out a LOT of explanations and caveats from both books. Just wanted to show the conflicting nutrition advice in a quick summary.

If you have read either of these books, what do you think about them? What do you think about the authors? If you haven't read either of these books but have some other book that you think is a good read, by all means suggest it.

--------------
\"We must be the change we wish to see in the world\" - Ghandi
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/03/14, 08:13 AM
I am currently reading Macrobolic Nutrition, which is just a slight variation on the usual bodybuilding diet.

40/30/30 is a pretty common ratio to start people on, most people will respond well to it. But often you have to keep tweaking it and findthe ratio that really works for you , for your goals.

I think that different people metabolize foods differently due to a few factors, so it really takes a little experimentation to find the ratio that works best for your body.

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach