Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

higher reps and lighter weight to grow?

Devinm
Devinm
United States
2008/02/19, 01:13 AM
i have been lifting as heavy as i could for a while now. it worked at first but now im not gaining much muscle. i usually lift like 15 reps for warmups then 8-10 reps on working sets. i am getting stronger but not bigger. i read this article i don't know if i should belive it or not.

http://fromskinnytomuscular.com/high-reps-build-muscle-fast.html

also, what rep range should i use beacuse i always belived 8-10 or 12 was the best range for hypertrophy.

--------------
Veni,Vidi,Vici.= I came, I saw, I conquered.- Ceasar
Devinm
Devinm
United States
2008/02/19, 01:49 AM
i am really going crazy about this. all the guys in the gym who are hitting the steroids hard are really starting to lower my confidence.

--------------
merrillj
merrillj
United States
2008/02/19, 06:31 AM
^^^ That was me. Timed out I guess.

Also, since you have gained muscle mass your calorie requirements have probably also increased.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/02/19, 09:00 AM
Devinm - reps are another variable you can use to break through a plateau or suprise your body. It might be good for you to go through a 'lighter' cycle of training (not easier, though). You will still want to challenge your muscles and work hard, but switch routines and switch rep ranges and see if it breaks you through your plateau.

also, as merrill pointwed out - it is good to reassess your caloric needs every once and a hwile and be sure you are obtaining enough calories.

Don't look at the steroid guys - they are risking a lot for very little real gain.

--------------
Argue your limitations and they are yours.

Devinm
Devinm
United States
2008/02/19, 01:54 PM
ok. well about the calories, i gained 30 pounds since sept. but it was probably at least half fat. i did gain a little bit of muscle but my waist went up two inches. i want to buy a weight gainer or something but i am trying to convince my parents to let me because i had been getting nauseous from the protein i have. i think it was just stale. anyway, ill check out that site merillj and ill def. start varying my reps. i havent used dropsets or supersets in a while either. i just thought that if i was getting stronger in the right rep range that i wwas getting bigger.

--------------
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/02/19, 03:16 PM
If you gained fat you overate. you don't need a mass gainer - eat more oats and brown rice and yams and lean protein like chicken.