Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

For The Experts

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/02/01, 08:46 AM
Inlcine bench
Incline db press
flay flyes

There, a good workout for your chest
3-4 sets ach 8-10 reps
fail on the last set

suggested weight? weight you can lift for 10 reps the first two sets and weight you fail on the 8th rep, last set.

Now - about the squats...

Squats and deadlifts stimulate the most growth hormone, so they will help your chest and arms grow when you include them in your routine.

Everyone here is trying to help you and all you seem to want to do is argue.

I am giving you a second chance - listen to what people are saying - you seem to have a lot of questions but won't accept any answers or constructive criticism.

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/01/31, 11:03 AM
Why when I ask a simple question about what would be a good work out routinie I get the same dumb answer like(Clean,squat,deadlift and a full body workout) thats not what I asked I want to know what would be a good work out to build my chest don't tell me to do my mid section and my legs or even arms I know this I have heard it a 100 times I want to know what can I do for the chest I know the other stuff is a part I got that I want to know now the chest side of it a nice routine reps a suggested weight :dumbbell's or barbells. And if you don't like my post or can't answer please keep your hate and rudeness to yourself
BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/02/01, 10:50 AM
So do you think it is a good idea to work your lower body on seperate days then your upper. I was always told you should whats your take on it
merrillj
merrillj
United States
2008/02/01, 11:00 AM
The best advice that I can give you is to watch your volume. Train for no more than an hour. Preferably closer to 45 minutes at a time. Most people who are tall and thin benefit from shorter sessions done frequently. Some people do very well on full body workouts while others fair better with upper and lower splits. The only way to tell is trial and error. I am still in this process.
merrillj
merrillj
United States
2008/02/01, 11:03 AM
There are many different ways to split up your training.

Day 1 Upper Horizontal movements dominant
Day 2 Lower Body Quad dominant
Day 3 rest
day 4 upper body vertical movement dominant
day 5 lower body posterior chain dominant
day 6 rest
day 7 rest
day 8 day 1 etc.

this is very popular
merrillj
merrillj
United States
2008/02/01, 11:05 AM
In the pursuit of weight gain my favorite thing to do is to train every other day. research has shown that protein synthesis is maximized after 48 hours making this a very good option.
merrillj
merrillj
United States
2008/02/01, 11:11 AM
As far as chest training, I read an article by Christian Thibaudeau on t-nation.com where he says that some people do not learn to properly activate their chest during pressing movements. all of the work is done with the shoulders and the triceps. He suggests to remedy this use a pre-exhustion isolation exercise supersetted with a pressing movement, like flyes supersetted with bench press. If the chest is fatigued from the flyes it will be easier to "feel" the chest working while pressing. You will have to "leave your ego at the door" and use less weight in the pressing movement to accomplish this.
BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/02/01, 11:19 AM
Thanks merrillj I have heard that before but did not here it in full that does sound like a plan split the work outs ok. Thanks for the info
BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/02/01, 11:29 AM
That sounds interesting do flyes before I get on the bench to get a burn in my chest I like that idea will have to try that on my next chest workout. Does the samething work for say the bicepts or even theighs to add another workout before doing the heaver workout
merrillj
merrillj
United States
2008/02/01, 11:32 AM
Biceps, no. But I have heard of doing leg extensions supersetted with squats.
BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/02/01, 11:48 AM
oh ok cool because am looking to get better results with my theigs my legs use to be bigger but slacked off over the years
merrillj
merrillj
United States
2008/02/01, 11:51 AM
You have to be careful when using set extension techniques like supersets though. You can overtrain with them. If you feel you are getting weaker when using them by all means stop. I still think straight heavy sets are the best method using the set extension techniques sparingly.
BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/02/01, 12:44 PM
ok I can do that I sometimes start with lighter weight to help with my technique so the supersets will help out alot with that to thanks
BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/02/01, 03:04 PM
null thanks for that advise thats what I needed to here it will help me out alot with my workouts
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2008/02/01, 03:19 PM
"generally I would do 2-3 work sets in the 4-6 rep range and then follow it up wiht 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps to last good rep....the heavy sets will help you knock out couple extra reps on lighter sets than normally possible."

Whats the point of doing the high rep stuff after? I am not saying it is wrong, I just want to know why you suggest this.

"generally doing more than 2 exercises that work your chest in a single workout is counterproductive."

This is not necessarily true. The problem with this is poor exercise choice. For example, Flat bench, DB flat press, pec dec. These are basically the same the movement. variety is the key.

"I would also generally not go above 8-10 work sets..."

Why? If you were working the 90% range I would say even that is too much, but if your in 60-80 range whats wrong with 15? Nothing.

I don't have a particular problem with anything you said, but when you are giving advice you should explain why even if the answer is "this has worked for me in the past. Our goal here is to educate people, so the whys of things are important.
2008/02/01, 03:50 PM
============
Quoting from Pemdas:

"generally I would do 2-3 work sets in the 4-6 rep range and then follow it up wiht 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps to last good rep....the heavy sets will help you knock out couple extra reps on lighter sets than normally possible."

Whats the point of doing the high rep stuff after? I am not saying it is wrong, I just want to know why you suggest this.

"generally doing more than 2 exercises that work your chest in a single workout is counterproductive."

This is not necessarily true. The problem with this is poor exercise choice. For example, Flat bench, DB flat press, pec dec. These are basically the same the movement. variety is the key.

"I would also generally not go above 8-10 work sets..."

Why? If you were working the 90% range I would say even that is too much, but if your in 60-80 range whats wrong with 15? Nothing.

I don't have a particular problem with anything you said, but when you are giving advice you should explain why even if the answer is "this has worked for me in the past. Our goal here is to educate people, so the whys of things are important.
=============

Sorry I got logged out guys. Last null was me.

Heavy sets followed by lighter sets rely on the ever popular principle of neural facilitation so that the lighter weight will feel much easier than normal due to stimulation of CNS through heavy sets allowing you to lift the lighter weight(sets)for more reps or with more speed.

The reason i dont recommend more than 2 exercises working the same thing is redundancy. For a natural lifter there's no point doing 3 or more exercises, trying to obliterate your muscles into nothingness. There's nothing sillier to me than doing bench, incline bench, decline bench, flyes, dips, pec deck....

you're right blanket statements are a bad idea however I am giving guiding principles to a beginner who's better off doing less for more gains....yes if you're an experienced lifter you may decide to do a high volume workout using many exercises however this is generally not a great idea from my experience.

"but if your in 60-80 range whats wrong with 15? Nothing. "

depends on how many reps you decide to do for those sets, what specific % load you use, as well as rest intervals...you may overtrain with these scheme depending on concrete variables rather than doing 10 singles at 90% once a week...it all depends..
BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/02/01, 04:09 PM
I see your points what about :dumbbells and bar curls followed by seated bar curls would that be doing to much
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2008/02/01, 05:56 PM
here's what worked for me for years..it's basic and not fancy:

1st move: compound,heavy: reps 3-10...4-6 sets(go by feel)
2nd move: compound variation of above move :reps 6-12..2-4 sets
3rd and 4th move "the fluff" 1-3 sets, 12+reps..single joint

those are all based off of "feel"....Somedays you can do heavier weight...so do more work in the 1st move....then tapper the sets off as you go for other excercises. Other days your still sore, or tired...so you may not go as heavy or do as many sets for the 1st move. So make up for it witht he other moves...since they are les stressful.

FYI:
Compound : uses more than one joint or muscle to move the weight.

Single joint: only uses one joint or one muscle to move the weight

Examples: (since your a bench press fool) here's and example "bench day"

warm up
1st move: Flat bench w/ bb: 10 8 6 4 4 2 (5 sets)
2nd move: Incline w/ dbs : 8 8 8 5 (4 sets)
3rd move: dips 10 10 10 (3 sets)
4th move: cable flyes 15 15 (2 sets)

After 3-4 weeks...change it. somthing like this:
1st decline bench
2nd hammer grip db press(flat)
3rd clapping push ups
4th incline flyes

for legs you could do
1st move: squats
2nd move: walking lunges
3rd move: sdl's
4th move: seated ham curls

when that boring after 3-4 weeks
1st move: front squats
2nd move: split squats
3rd move: good mornings
th move: standing leg curls

How you split is up to you.I had 4 lifts that was my core of the progarm. bench, squat, dl , miltary press...one of those or a variation of those was my 1st move always.

if this doesn't help you....I dunno what will!?

--------------
\\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\\"

BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/02/01, 06:24 PM
Thanks everyone great tips I will apply them all where I need them thanks again