Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

Keeping your New Year's resolutions?

jbennett
jbennett
United States
2008/01/12, 08:53 AM
============
Quoting from charlie826:

I'm insulted.
=============

Awww... Mr. Sensitive got hims feewings hurt? :)

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2008/01/11, 11:12 PM
The New Year is here and soooo many of the millions of resolutions that were made are already dust in the wind. People make resolutions and are so gung-ho about them at first, then slack back to their old ways oh so quickly. I do not make resolutions any more. They're pointless to me. Let's get real here: On January 1st at the stroke of midnight, does life suddenly take a hairpin turn and you instantly become a better person? Why couldn't this 'resolution' have been made 2 months ago? What the heck were you waiting for? Is there something magical about the 1st of the year?

Change is hard. Change needs to be thought through and planned out before you put it into action. Some things need to change gradually (quitting smoking or other bad habits, beginning an exercise program, starting a new diet, etc). I have already witnessed a crazy amount of folks fall off the wagon and it's only 11 days into the New Year! Just one example: A personal friend of mine just started a new workout program as of January 2nd. Paid for a gym membership and has visited a total of 3 times. Three times in 9 or 10 days does not get the job done. Trust me, I let them know how I feel about that. Change is hard. There is no magic potion, pill, or spell that can make it any easier for you. What people don't seem to understand is that by making a resolution, they are not just changing one tiny thing; they're making a lifestyle change. It's uncomfortable. It's different. And, again, it's hard. We, as humans, tend to shy away from difficult tasks. The easier and more convenient it is, the more we like it. After January 1st, the attempts to keep the resolutions begin and most realize very quickly that they have bitten off more than they can chew. Instead of scaling back a little, they choose to give it all up: they get stressed so they pick up another cigarette; they're sore from working out so they avoid the gym never to return; they eat a bite of junk food and think that just this one time won't hurt, not realizing that 'this one time' happens all the time. To make a change you must commit to a different lifestyle. When you don't follow through, these commitments become false commitments. False commitments = lies. Why do you want to lie to yourself and to your family/friends?

It all comes down to discipline. What are you REALLY willing to change? How are you going to do it? How are you going to avoid reverting back to your 'comfort zone'? If you've already fallen off the wagon, what are you going to do now? Throw your hands up and accept failure? Way to go, quitter. Are you just going to wait until January of 2009 and try again? Any day is a good day for change.

Before anyone goes jumping down my throat here and telling me how wrong I am, I just want to say that this is simply a generalization and my own personal observations. I'm not here to insult anyone. If you are insulted, I will not apologize. The best way to prove me wrong is with your actions to maintain the promise and commitment you made to yourself...

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/01/11, 11:50 PM
SPEAK ON JBENNET!!! I had a resolution this year to no longer make resolutions. I succeded!! lol.
I wanted to add just one more thought to your note. You say "any day is a good day for a change". I say any TIME! So, you ate a McDonald's sausage biscit for breakfast, but you regret it and want to eat healthy. Do you really have to eat unhealthy the rest of the day so that you can "start fresh tomorrow"? Start NOW!
You are so right JBennet. True lifestyle changes take planning, research, goals, etc. Not just "Starting Jan 1, I will be a totally different person".
I applaud you JBennet for saying what I'm sure a lot of us are thinking.
2008/01/12, 12:18 AM
I'm insulted.

--------------
Aboard the MV The Shop

Charlie
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/01/12, 09:03 PM
Poor Charlie. Go play with your ass. (referring to you donkey of course). :)
gs24sunshine
gs24sunshine
United States
2008/01/12, 10:33 PM
Miss the sense of humor on here!!!glad to have yu back amy!!!!!

============
Quoting from amyksmith76:

Poor Charlie. Go play with your ass. (referring to you donkey of course). :)
=============
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/01/13, 04:35 PM
lol. Thanks sunshine. You know I don't take much very seriously!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/01/13, 06:49 PM
My gym is packed, I wish they would break thier resolutuions already!

On a serious note all the power to them (those resorevolutioners)!

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)