Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

Question about Sugar and Timing of Meals

CJFit
CJFit
United States
2002/07/31, 11:18 AM
This is a two part question:
In terms of sugar(excluding simple sugars), what is the recommended amount per day for someone who wants to "cut up".
Also, in terms of the timing of meals, there is alot of theories about what should be eaten and when, but the question is, are you better off eating a meal high in carbs or higher in protein or balanced prior to working out?
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/07/31, 11:25 AM
I believe the lower the amount of sugar, the better when you are cutting. I would have to say around 5-20g from natural sources (fruit, etc.) would be my recommended limit.

As far as what you should eat before a workout, I would have to say high carbs. This will help fuel your workout. The protein should be consumed post workout.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
CJFit
CJFit
United States
2002/07/31, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the response. The reason I ask is because I see and hear many theories on this and even though I have my way of doing it I still want to hear what others think. I eat mostly carbs, along with 10 egg whites, before working out( NO sugar), and post workout consists of carbs(NO sugar), with some protein. I have been reading that it is important to eat carbs , post workout, in order to replenish the glycogen store for the muscles and liver.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/07/31, 11:51 AM
In most cases, if you supplement with whey (or other type) protein powder, there's a fair amount of carbs along with protein in them.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
CJFit
CJFit
United States
2002/07/31, 12:07 PM
Thanks again.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/07/31, 09:43 PM

============
Quoting from CJFit:

This is a two part question:
In terms of sugar(excluding simple sugars), what is the recommended amount per day for someone who wants to "cut up".
Also, in terms of the timing of meals, there is alot of theories about what should be eaten and when, but the question is, are you better off eating a meal high in carbs or higher in protein or balanced prior to working out?
=============
CJfit: Sugars should be avoided almost like the plague when dieting or "trying to cut up". Nothing short circuits your progress like rising and falling blood sugars all day, which of course lead to an insulin response. You know what happens then. The only times you may want that is post workout, your blood sugars will be very low after a grueling workout, and you know no muscle repair or anything can even start till blood sugars are stabilized. So after training, try to get in a moderate carb, high protein meal as soon as possible. A drink type meal within a half hour is by far the best, all research shows that it enters your system much faster than any "food meal" can. Then within an hour, eat a decent food meal. High protein, and forget the sugars. Hope this helps.