Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

two weeks out.... advice ?

smitty71
smitty71
United States
2002/03/10, 04:13 PM
any advie for someone that is about two weeks out from a contest ?

My latest bodyfat measure was a smidgeon over 10%, and I know the best looking competitors are going to be around 4-6% ....

Should I quit lifting all-together and do nothing but cardio twice a day? should I slim down my diet even more to almost pure protein ? or should I throw in the towel and plan on competing in one in May ?

This one is in my hometown, so i really don't just want to compete in it for "experience" ... I'd rather do that in one away from here.....

i should add that I am currently 164 lbs (5'9") ... if I wanted to compete in lightweight, I'd have to drop 10 lbs, which might get me to the 6-8% bodyfat level.... but in two weeks, that's probably an unreasonable goal.....

just asking for advice from some of you out there that have had similar experiences.....

- smitty

p.s. i've already shaved, bought the posing shorts, the tanning cream, started tanning, etc.... but I just don't think i'm quite there......
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/03/12, 04:24 PM
Gee thats a tough one Smitty..where are you today Tuesday?????????????????
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/03/13, 02:38 AM
I'll say go for it!!!! No, you are not ready but you'll get an experience you'll be able to use for the next time where you'll be a lot more prepared. Just get on the stage and do the very best you can and LEARN!!!

Just one thing; don't be sad to loose. Be prepared for that one as well, but forget about it and think that the next time it'll be ten times better.

Any advice? Do 30-45 mins of cardio every single morning on empty stomach and watch your carb intake. Be careful of not overtraining yourself thou, it's very easy to do since you're a little weak from dieting. Last week before the contest calm down and work the posing.

What can I say but GOOD LUCK and please keep us posted!!!

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
Arnold
Arnold
Canada
2002/03/13, 10:13 AM
Hey Smitty.. I say go for it.. you have a great chance.

Get all the experience that you can. Losing another 10 pounds in the next two weeks is fine. Let's say 5 of those pounds is water.. which it very easily can be. Then shedding the water is not the difficult, you must play around with your carbs VERY carefully in the last week before the show.

For now.. do cardio twice a day. Once in the morning before breakfast for 30-45 minutes. Then at night or following your workout. You should train until the wednesday before the show..

I would love to help more,

What is your current training?
What is your current diet?

ps - for your next show you should aim to come in at the middleweight division, since you are 5'9".

ps2 - you can be surprised what last minute dieting can do.. as well as the tan oil and lighting!

--------------
.o0 Arnold 0o...o0 theaustrianoak@hotmail.com 0o.
smitty71
smitty71
United States
2002/03/16, 12:55 AM
well... an update is that I am currently at 9.7% bodyfat. My posing shorts came in, I've shaved my legs (ouch... I don't know how the women do it !!), and I've been hitting the tanning bed. I always keep the chest shaved, but will do my forearms next.

For my diet, on average I'm at about 1800 calories per day. Of those calories, appx 8% is fat, 45% is carbs, and 47% is protein. I pretty much try to eliminate the fat in my diet (just taking in a little bit) and I make sure that I at least take in 165 grams protein (the ole 1 gram protein per body pound)

I do cardio once a day, but since it's been getting nice here in Ohio, we started playing basketball during lunch.. so that's cardio twice per day. I'm hit and miss for doing cardio in the morning (snooze button disease) but I realize the benefits and will try harder.

I've been on a 3-day per week lifting program doing (chest, tri's, and shoulders) one day, (legs back biceps forearms) the next time, and depending on the week, i'll repeat on of those on the third day.

I've heard a lot of different things about the week prior to the show, so I was just basically going to try and do some high-rep sets during the week.

So the first question is should I keep my calories around 1800 and pump out more cardio ? Or should I try and cut them down this last week?

The one thing that makes it tough is this contest is March 23rd... but there is another one on April 6th, and the next is May 6th.... the March is in my hometown, the April is close by (and both of them are pretty small) and the last is a huge one...... but it's easy to just say "well, i'll be ready for the one next month" ........

So... reading all the comments (which I do want to thank everyone for leaving !!) I am going to up my cardio this last week to morning and evening (unless its basketball during lunch). I thought about trying the carbo depletion / loading they recommend on the site as well.

Oh.... sorry to ramble, but one last question... what about my water intake the day before and day of the competition ?

- smitty

p.s. thanks again for the words of encouragement...
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/03/16, 08:39 AM
For the most part overtraining and training too heavy your final week can do more harm than good. You could either train the whole body on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday or continue with your training split through the week. Either way do not train to failure.
If you are in great shape you can do either or, if you have some to lose yet, then the Mon - Wed thing might work best.
Basically you are doing your whole body with the exception of quads. The idea is not destroy your body just stimulate it. Something like this:
Super set Back with Chest (3 sets)
Do 2 exercises for each bodypart

Tri set Shoulders / Biceps / Triceps (3 sets)
Do 1 exercise for each bodypart

Super Set Hamstrings with Calves (3 sets)
Do 1 exercise for each bodypart

Stay within 6 - 12 reps per set

Monday use 80% of the normal weight you use and only 60 seconds between super and tri sets
Tuesday use 70% of the normal weight you use and only 30 seconds between super and tri sets
Wednesday use 60% of the normal weight you use and no rest between super and tri sets (basically no rest during the whole workout)

Friday take it easy and compete on Saturday.If you do cardio your final week dont overdue it. Don't do more cardio the final week than what you usually do.

Monday - do 80% the normal time and intensity of normal
Tuesday - do 70% the normal time and intensity of normal
Wednesday (last session)- do 60% the normal time and intensity or normal
Pose about 50% more than you usually do the final week!

Drink plenty of water throughout your contest preparation, at least one to three gallons daily, the more the better.
Cut your sodium intake by 50% on Thursday and Friday
Cut back water intake by 25% on Thursday (2 gallons to 1.5 gallons)
Cut water an additional 25% on Friday (half of what you normally drink)
Use Potassium 2 - 99 mg tablets per hour on Thursday and Friday

--------------
Your presence is marked by your giving, not by what you gain........Leslie
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/03/18, 02:56 AM
I know this can sound weird but one last suggestion that might could help is NOT doing more cardio but cut down deeply your carb intake, keep the protein and water intake high and eat a lot more insaturated fat!!!
No, this will NOT make you fat but accelerate the fat burning and give you more energy to train.
Anyway, good luck.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....