Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

M.E sufferer - help and advice needed

klkewley
klkewley
United Kingdom
2007/09/19, 09:38 AM
Hi All,

My name is Karen, im 22 years old, and i live near London in the UK. I was diagnosed with M.E 2 years ago, and to be completely honest I have done almost no exercise since then. I currently weight 130.2 lb, am 5'4", and have a small frame. Although I dont sound overweight, I am carrying extra baggage, around my stomach, back and hips. My body fat is 23%.

My problem is motivation - i so desperately want to lose weight, and be happy with myself (and some muscles would be nice as well), but with work, I dont seem to be able to cope with working out as well. I currently work from 10am - 5pm, and cannot afford to drop my hours due to financial commitments.
I tend to eat microwave meals and alot of pasta - as it is quick and easy. I sleep on average 10-12 hours a night and then another 3-5 in the day.
Any help, advice or motivation would really help. I am determined to do this, and think if I could get a handle on my diet, I may feel better in myself.

Let me know your thoughts,

kk
gs24sunshine
gs24sunshine
United States
2007/09/19, 09:55 PM
You lack motivation karen maybe cause of too much sleep!If your determined then get up and tell yourselfthat you wanna look better,feel better!!I work from 800am till 900pm and still find the hours to workout.girl you gotta want it.Do some cardio,eat right and get out there hun and shock those muscles!!Karen if you wanna get motivated ,put a pic in your head how you wanna look,and do it!!!If you want me to yell at you I willget it in your head first,its as much mental as physical!!!!!!!
christal086
christal086
Australia
2007/09/19, 11:09 PM
wow girl you sleep ALOT! maybe you should address why are you so tired? and i'd cut alot of the pasta meals its bad carbs there are alot of other meals that are quick and easy. maybe set yourself a goal like egtting up early 3 days a week and going for a run start small then work up.
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2007/09/19, 11:29 PM
Chronic fatigue syndrome is nothing to mess with KK, ive got a friend with M.E. and she's drained most of the time, thou she works out when she can but usually pays for it when she does, she is totally unable to work so she has more time for rest than you do and i know they have her seeing a nutritionist so she can get a diet plan in order. I would check with your doctor and run it by them to be safe, but a simple 20 minute band resitance or light dumbbell program should help get ya motivated and headed in the right direction...

--------------
Get busy living or get busy dying.

Rabula Tasa- Latin meaning Clean Slate
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2007/09/20, 10:18 AM
What exactly does M.E. stand for?
klkewley
klkewley
United Kingdom
2007/09/20, 11:52 AM
ME stands for for Myalgic Encephalopathy, sometimes also known as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. or can be known as CFS - which is chronic fatigue syndrome. my main symptoms are muscle twitches, brain fog, word dissociation, and extreme tiredness. But believe it or not, I have a rather mild case. Many people also suffer from intolerance to bright light and loud noices, an inability to be touched due to sensitivity, and paralysis. This link shows an extreme but unfortunately common list of symptoms.

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/content/view/342/70/

This website also discribes CFS in more detail.

So I should really count myself lucky. I just need to ensure I keep going. I have been to a nutritionist - but this was later discredited by my doctor, and he said her suggestions would only make me worse due to lack of energy.

So any info on starting slowly is greatly appreciated!!!!

thanks for all your help
xx

kk