Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

Posture...

Mel4Short
Mel4Short
United States
2007/09/05, 01:29 PM
While I suffered swollen discs in my back, I compensated the spinal pressure by rounding my spine. Now I am trying to better my posture and find that straightening my back is uncomfortable and my back muscles (lower back and shoulder blade area)fatigue rapidly from trying to keep a straighter/taller posture. Are there any specific stretches or exercises that will help ease the forcing of the posture and eventually allow it to be natural posture?
ReptilianFeline
ReptilianFeline
Sweden
2007/09/05, 05:38 PM
I've been looking through my yoga-book from the 70's, and there are a couple of things you could try.
The simplest to explain in words is the Cat.
1. Stand on hands and knees, hands pointing forward.
2. Slowly rais your back, as a cat would.
3. Rais the back even more, and push your pelvis forward. Let your head relax downwards.
4. Push your hands firmly to the floor, and try to push your chin towards your chest. Hold and count to 5.
5. Revers the order until you get back to the starting position.
Make sure your hands are directly under your shoulders for maximum support, and that your arms are straight the whole time.
This is supposed to be very easy on the back, but very very good. Your back should get stronger and more flexible, and that should help with your posture, and help you do other exercises.

--------------
-----------------------------------
Getting there...
-----------------------------------
Mel4Short
Mel4Short
United States
2007/09/05, 05:56 PM
Thanks. I do a Yoga back relaxation program to help with the daily pain of my back. Since doing it, the pain is gone, but I still need flexability. I'll have to incorporate that one in the mix. I have seen it before, but it's not included in the DVD I have. Thanks again.

I cannot believe how restricted and weak my back muscles and abs became when I suffered the disc problems. 3 months in bed with limited sitting and standing (5 to 15 minutes at a time) really takes a toll on ya. It's a slow recovery, but feels good not to wake up and go to bed in pain. :)

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/09/06, 07:39 AM
Be sure to do strength movements like seated rows, and always think of pulling your shoulder blades down and together to initiate the movement. At home you can use a band, at the gym use a cable stand.

If you can find a Stott Pilates class and can afford to take it for a while it would be beneficial - the Stott style of pilates is very good for reteaching posture and retraining the upper back and shoulder muscles that you are talking about. Stott Pilates is different than mat-based pilates, the focus is on on neutral spine and proper shoulder girdle coordination (and core training) the mat-based classes focus on a fetal spine position that i tend to disagree with. Stott will cost a little more, but will be very beneficial.

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

Mel4Short
Mel4Short
United States
2007/09/06, 10:42 AM
Thanks, I'll have to look for that. I have generally stayed away from the pilate thing because it looks to me like the poses are not good for your back, not to mention I just don't see myself getting into those positions! :)
2007/10/16, 08:00 PM
Something else you can try if you feel your back is really weak right now. Stand with your arms stretched out wide. Imagine you're saying, "I caught a fish THIS big!" Flex your arms as wide and as far back as you can but making sure that your arms don't lift vertically up above the level of your shoulders. As you do this, imagine that you're trying to pinch a potato chip between your shoulder blades. Hold the pose for as long as you can. It will burn in your rear deltoids, but also in the muscles around your scapula (shoulder blade). What's great about this is that you'll be stretching the muscles across the front of your chest at the same time, which can become unusually tight from slouching. That makes it extra uncomfortable and hard to straighten your shoulders when you try. Anyway, reach and hold, then rest for 30 sec to 1 min, and repeat. Reach and hold a total of four times, 2 x's per week to build strength in your back and flexibility in your chest. Good luck.

--------------
\"We must be the change we wish to see in the world\" - Ghandi