Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Weekend Breakdown?

gecko4life
gecko4life
United States
2007/07/23, 11:28 AM
I have noticed that I workout hard during the week. I go in at 6AM and hit the elliptical/bike/treadmill (randomize it). Then at 1:30 I go back into the gym and do 1/2 hour elliptical and 1/2 hour of weight lifting with roughly 3 exercises of 3-4 reps each with a workout partner. During this time I also eat a very balanced diet and make sure to eat 5-6 times a day roughly 3 hours apart. Yet on the weekend I get off schedule with kids, etc and don't eat every 3 hours, eat food that isn't as healthy and not workout. Does anyone else fall into this trap? I know how to fix it just tough, plus we really don't have any place to workout in the town I live in for weights because during the week my weight lifting partner believes that all the arobic exercise is all he needs to keep his legs in shape.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/07/23, 12:09 PM
gecko - I think the weekend is always a challenge - you just need to set daily plans and goals and start keeping them.

You can do plenty of leg work at home without equipment - squats holding heavy objects, jump squats, walkng lunges, etc.

Your training partner's leg may be endurance trained, but he isn't maximizing his workout results if he skips weight training with his lower body. squats and deadlifts stimulta emore growth hormone and burn more claories than upper body work. They are also important for buildin functional strength for every day activities and quality of life as you age.

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

gecko4life
gecko4life
United States
2007/07/23, 01:34 PM
Ohh quick question, I figured I have big legs now anyways and alot of muscle just because that is my genetic makeup. I don't want my legs to get any bigger per say so should I just do alot of reps of light weights? And lets say I am trying to loose weight so I normally do alot of reps but I would like my chest to get larger and more muscularly (sp) defined, is that possible?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/07/24, 09:37 AM
Lift heavy - you rpobably have fat marbled into your legs, they shoudl get leaner along with the rest of you.... and lift heavy for chest - you will still lose fat if you are in a lishgt calorie deficit, lifting heavy will ensure you retain and/or build the muscle you are looking for to create the definition.

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

gecko4life
gecko4life
United States
2007/07/24, 10:19 AM
So just lift heavy all around instead of trying to tone? Or did you mean just on legs and chest?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/07/24, 10:39 AM
toning is a myth
Build muscle, lose fat and your will be leaner, denser and more defined.

--------------
Thomas Carlyle