Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Concerns on casein???

Hunter76
Hunter76
United Kingdom
2007/07/05, 11:44 AM
Beautiful people,

Looking at the message boards saw quite a few recommendations on using casein as the last snack before going to bed for a slow release of proteins. However thought I should highlight the warning below from wikipedia.org

"Casein has been implicated very strongly as a carcinogenic compound, possibly one of the most carcinogenic currently in the human diet, according to The China Study by T. Colin Campbell. Also mentioned is the incidence of higher cancer rates in countries that consume more dairy products, specifically cheese, which has more than 10 times the casein density of milk. "

From what I understand whey sort of suppresses free radicals so is good. Apologies if this has been discussed before, but thought its worthwhile mentioning it.

Stay well.

georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2007/07/05, 01:49 PM
and do you believe everything you see on tv too?

--------------
My Catahoula did it.

I saw a book titled "Sex for Dummies" and wondered why
anyone would teach dumb people how to reproduce?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/07/05, 04:36 PM
There are some studies that indicate that casein may accelerate tumor growth, but they don't seem to indicate that it actually causes the cancer, just feeds it, as do , it appears, most animal proteins.

You can find a lot of anti-dairy and anti-meat articles and you have to decide what you believe and what you want to ingest.

I think if you are eating a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, you are probably counteracting the carcinogens in your diet with phytonutrients and anti-oxidants...but i am not a doctor and I cannot tell you what you should or shouldn't eat - that is up to you to decide.

--------------

While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
- Ben Franklin