Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Too much muscle in one thigh

firedancer4
firedancer4
United States
2007/05/29, 11:21 AM
My right thigh is 3/4" larger than the other, and I believe it's muscle and not fat that is causing the extra bulk. How can I tell if it's muscle or fat? I would rather shrink down that muscle than bulk up in my other thigh. Any suggestions on how to do this? It's starting to cause me daily grief because my jeans are no longer fitting comfortably (just on one side)! :(
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/05/29, 11:52 AM
If it is more muscle what would be causing this.

I know when I ran 5K's I would tend to rely on one leg more than the other.

I would assume it would be extremely difficult to lose muscle in just one leg. I would assume it would like trying to spot reduce fat.

I would spend a little time figuring out what is causing this as if you are favoring one leg more than the other, you have a good potential of developing back and knee issues.
firedancer4
firedancer4
United States
2007/05/29, 05:00 PM
I understand that a dominant leg can have more muscle, but not 3/4"!! I haven't taken on any new activities that would warrant this significant increase. Seriously, I started wondering if there is something medically wrong! I hear what you're saying about the back and knee issues, and I have thought about what could be causing this, but come up clueless. I think I've always had a slight difference in size (maybe 1/4"), but never noticeable like this until now.

My husband said, "Oh, go ride your bike every day and just pedal with one leg!" Yeah... right.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/05/30, 10:45 AM
firedancer - what is your current focus? Are you losing weight? maintaining?

I see weight loss like this with my clients - one leg is bigger, then they even out, then the other will be a little bigger.

I wouldn't think that 3/4 of an inch would be enough to affect how your jeans are fitting....

Anyhow - i think we need more info before we can figure this out...

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

firedancer4
firedancer4
United States
2007/05/30, 11:41 AM
Thanks, asimmer.

I'm currently trying to LOSE some weight and tone up. It seems in the last several months, a couple things have happened. The fat around my waist seemed to increase, as did my ONE thigh. I know it's weird... I have very mild scoliosis and know my hip bones are slightly off-balance, which has given me lower back problems, and makes programs like Pilates undoable/painful for me.

3/4" has definitely been enough gain to affect the fit of my jeans. They fit perfect BEFORE, and now I am very aware of the tightness in that one leg all day long. When I started feeling uncomfortable in my waist area (because of the "extra" that just appeared there! lol), I also started feeling uncomfortable in my right thigh. The day I started this post is the day I measured and, honestly, it depressed me! The tightness in just that one thigh... really bothers me. I change my clothes several times a day because there is nothing I have that's comfortable except loose activewear, and it's too hot for that!

I will not deny I have body esteem issues, and not feeing comfortable in anything strains my mood, to say the least. I want to lose the extra weight I've put on, but it's very stubborn fat! I'm watching what I eat and am aware of calorie intake. I could be doing more exercise, but I'm trying to do something everyday - cardio and strength training. But I'm afraid of strength training the larger leg!

I want to lose the weight and tone (equally), but because of my "problem", I am panicking about which methods to use to reach my goals. The last thing I want to do is exacerbate the problem.

I really do appreciate your help - I want to feel like I'm doing something about this and need guidance on what that is! Thank you so much for your replies and your opinions. If you need even MORE information, I'm happy to provide so I can get this show on the road!

Thank you so much!
firedancer4
firedancer4
United States
2007/05/30, 11:53 AM
PS - I'm 35, which might be a factor in more difficult and/or stubborn weight loss?? :(
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/05/31, 07:59 AM
firedancer - what is your daily diet like, typically - maybe we sohuld start with that.

There is an excellent plan for fat loss in the post 'WSSC food plan' - look in the general forum, I think:) If you can't find it right away, enter the name into fitbuddy and it should come up.
Read through it and feel free to IM me if you have questions.

As far as working out - what are your specific limitations? I don't think it is awful if you can't do Pilates - there are plenty of other ways to train. I do think that weight training is going to help you lose size in your legs because as you get more muscle/less fat you will get smaller/denser.

So - let's start with these puzzle pieces and see where it takes us....

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

firedancer4
firedancer4
United States
2007/05/31, 07:43 PM
PS - I will also DEFINITELY check out the WSSC food plan. Thank you for the suggestion!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/05/31, 08:59 PM
You are not a horrible person, LOL. You are dealing with pain and anxiety the old fashioned, non-prescription way:)

So - your alcohol consumption will keep your body from burning fat as readily because it will prioritize burning the alcohol. I suggest you keep trying to find alternative methods of dealing with your anxiety. My husband had to try a lot of different things before finally finding the ones that worked for him - but he had a mild anxiety disorder in comparison to PTSD. I don't want to minimize the amount of pain/anxiety you are having, but I do think you need to realize that alcohol consumption results in higher levels of depression and anxiety, so you are adding fuel to the fire. You feel good for a while when drinking it, but it makes you more anxious and depressed the next day. the alcohol will also draw out the length of time it takes for you to heal, because it is poison to your system.

If you haven't already tried meditation or relaxation using CD's, it is something worth looking into - it sounds hokey and new-age, but there is a lot of research out there that shows that meditation really can help for anxiety disorders.

Pain syndromes are very hard to deal with because they become self-perpetuating. My mother and sister both have firbromyalgia and one of the tricy things with them is that once pain receptors get fired up they seem to stay fired up and fire up for less reason, it sucks, I know. BUT you are doing a lot of things right - eating a healthy diet with good fat in it and a wide variety of nutrients is helpful.

My mom and sister, and every client I have had with any type of inflammation disorder (arthritis, etc) have seen a tremendous difference in their pain levels when they avoid refined sugar and flour. I also just read a very interesting article about cancer and inflammation - the culprits? Sugar and refined flour.

You may want to starteating fish more often, or at least start supplementing with a fish oil capsule. Fish oil can help reduce systemic inflammation - as can the good fat in walnuts.

There are two books that may be helpful to you - One is the Perricone Promise and the other is The Fat Resistance Diet by Leo Galland, MD Both are about how foods can cause or relieve inflammation in your system (a major cause of pain). They also both have pretty good meal plans and healthy dietary advice.

As far as your food allergy (tentative) - you may want to find out for sure. most western MD's won't acknowledge it, but some alternative doctors list anxiety as a possible symptom of allergies. Just a thought and if you can reduce any contributing factors - well, all the better.

Hopefully you are still in counseling - if not, maybe you want to just check in with someone. The anorexia worries me, as does the continuing anxiety and pain. You are very lucky to be able to have time to heal, be sure to use it to your best advantage.

Keep trying to get in healthy mini-meals and keep focuisng on your health - stop focusing on your one leg :) and focus instead on, as you said, becoming healthy and whole again.

Stick around here and you will find that there are a lot of supportive people who are willing to lend a hand when you need it. that is why i am still here helping people, because people here will turn around and help me when I need it.

hang in there and keep up this dialogue, I am sure things will get better.

--------------

Thomas Carlyle

palzom
palzom
Belgium
2009/02/04, 11:59 AM
hi fire dancer...
i badly want to loose weight.5 months before i gace birth to a beautiful girl ..now my weight has pilled up .i was 58kg n now m 76kg=;my hsband has no interest in me ..we have lots of fight ..i just inscribed in gym..when ever i get time i run to jim..i just wana loose weight n be happy again..can anybody help?????