Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Shoulder pain (due to subluxation)

jonnnyko
jonnnyko
United States
2007/05/17, 02:57 PM
I've known from a while I have two subluxations one on each of my shoulders and find that there is a good amount of pain at time mostly around chest/back/shoulder workout days. My doctor has given me three choices 1. pain meds 2. cortizone shots 3. surgury. I'd rather not have to pop pills so I'm leaning to cortizone shots in each, just curious if anyone has had this done or know anything I should take into consideration before I get them, thanks.

--------------
Jonathan (jonnnyko@hotmail.com)
*** Nothing Is Real but Pain Now ***
ATIGER
ATIGER
United States
2007/05/17, 03:49 PM
i have had 2 cortizone shots in my left shoulder - I had an inflamed ac joint. they had to put the needle into my shoulder joint. Let me tell ya, that hurt like crazy. very painful but my pain from the shot and ac joint was gone by the time i got to the counter to leave. bad news is it came back later that night but only at about 50% of what it was. the 2nd shot came a month or 2 later. it spit the pain in half again. glad i got them but they hurt
k-ok
k-ok
United States
2007/05/23, 03:56 PM
I copied this from a message I sent to msmogreen. It applie to you, too.

Try googling "Rockwood exercises". Of the 5 exercises given, the ones I would emphasize would be the suprapinatus and infrapinatus (if they present in the order I provide, they would be the last 2). The first one helps to hold the shoulder down while the latter pulls the shoulder back when performing other exercises. Keep the motions in mid range and keep the shoulder down. That will help keep the scapular retractors in play. Progress up till you are able to perform 2 sets of 15-20 reps. You can do it with hand weights (rotation sidelying) or cable weights. Remember control is everything.

These 2 exercises should always be the precursor before you begins any other shoulder work.

Hope it helps!