Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

how are good fats, GOOD?

anubi5
anubi5
Australia
2007/03/15, 01:56 AM
I don't really understand how all this good fats and bad fats thing works? I was always under the immpression that fat is fat. I new there were bad fats which I thought were ones that clog your arteries and make you die young and that good fats didn't do that. I was told the other day that good fats WON't make you put on weight and bad fats will. Is this true? Can I eat plenty of food I want that has heaps of GOOD fats and it will be just as safe as eating food that has almost no fat at all. I am a skinny person but avoid all fats because I'm worried that I will get fat.
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2007/03/15, 10:51 AM
Fat content in food isn't named because it actually makes up the fat content in your body. Wipe that typical thought process from your mind.

With that said a calorie of fat is denser in calories then carbs and Protiens at (regardless of what kind) 8 or 9 grams, depending on who you ask or what calorie counter you use.

The affects of the different fats is significant. Bad fats (saturated and trans fats) clog your arties which causes high blood presure, as well as high Cholesterol, and even Cancer. Exceptions to the Bad Fats rule is Red Meats, it's high in saturated fats...but isn't necesarily bad for you as long as you get plenty of the good fats. Good fats (Polyunsaturated and Monounsaturated) essentially do the exact opposite as the bad fats do. Depending on your goals you should get plenty of these fats.

People usually look at me cross-eyed when I say I actually take a fat supplement. It's an Omega complex supplement that packed with good fats and I take it a few times a day.
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2007/03/15, 10:51 AM
Also fill out your profile and you'll get more responses.
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2007/03/15, 11:59 AM
Heaps of any fat can still make you fat. You still have to monitor your fat intake as you would your carbs and protein, to keep your total calories at a maintenance level (if you're a skinny person who doesn't need to lose). There is no need to avoid all fats.
2007/03/15, 12:44 PM
http://health.yahoo.com/experts/joybauernutrition/7760/the-skinny-on-oils

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/drmao/1165/health-tips-about-oil-pros-and-cons

Hey check out these 2 forms of oils (FATS)

Hopefully it will help you a bit?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/03/15, 10:29 PM
Change your ratio of fat intake to about a 3:1 ratio of W3's to W6's. It is by fat normally the other way around.

As msmogreen states correctly, you still will not lose weight if your fat intake makes you execeed your needed caloric intake.

There may well be something to the type of calorie intake having a negative effect on your body composition. For instance, trans fat has been shown numerous times to change body composition for the worse with the same amount of other calories.

--------------
"If it ain't broke, you aren't trying."