Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Bread Most Days: Sodium Content?

FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2007/03/01, 10:52 AM
Most mornings I eat scrambled eggs on a slice of of wholewheat bread and perhaps a sandwich again in the afternoon with two more slices.

This equates to around a loaf a week; now my question is this...

Is that too much bread? As I frequently hear that bread has a high sodium content and as a result, not actually that healthy (wholewheat).

So is a loaf a week too much?

Thanks.
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2007/03/01, 11:40 AM
I would think that it all depends on what your macronutrient needs are as far as carbs go. I'd have to think that you'd be wise to cut back a bit though. Maybe a few X per week replace your morning slice with some oatmeal and occationally switch from bread to a whole wheat wrap, pita or even some brown rice. Not sure about the sodium aspect, to be honest I've never heard comment on high sodium content.
FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2007/03/01, 12:06 PM
Thanks fly, i'm currently regaining my strength,(should update profile, sorry) as had two months out for exams etc(in a month going onto BB1's hi/lo carb diet). I had thought my carbs fine as I don't get in more than say 200g a day. But I agree on the bread substitute, however, I had always put pittas and bread in the same category i.e all breads?

To reach my carb needs I usually fill up on brown pasta/rice yeah, just that to make up a meal I often make a sandwich.

A usual day would be the following, comments welcome fly.

I.e.

One: PR Shake w/ Milk,Yoghurt,Fruit, flaxseed oil.

Two: Scrambled Eggs (4 whites, 2 yolks), 1 slice wholemeal bread.

Three: Handful Nuts, Banana.

Four: Grilled Turkey Sandwich w/ spinach, 2 slices wholemeal bread, 125g Cottage Cheese.

Five: PR Shake w/ milk, yoghurt, flaxseed oil.

Six: 1 cup wholewheat pasta, 250g Turkey/Chicken/Tuna w/ whatever veggies available.

Late Night snack: Cottage Cheese w/ TUna (tinned)
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2007/03/01, 01:18 PM
Looks like a good diet to me. I think as long as you choose a high quality whole grain bread, you should be fine. I always check the ingredient label of WW bread to make sure the first ingredient is 100% whole grain and not "enriched whole wheat". I'm curious to see if anyone has a comment on the sodium content, but I doubt it's much of an issue.

Looks to me like you're doing great with your meal plans...looks better than mine:)
FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2007/03/02, 01:27 PM
Lol, cheers Fly. Over here unfortunately the labelling system is poor. Doesn't quote HFCS or hydrogenated fats etc etc.

Wheat, water, Wholemeal Wheat are the 1st ingredients. But I did notice Vegetable Oil in there which is basically HF. Not sure how good that is for a loaf?

And yeah I'll try and find some info on the sodium content and post it here.