Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

torn bicep?

mptruong
mptruong
United States
2007/02/09, 04:32 AM
I don't now if i injured my bicep. I went to shower tonight and notice my right bicep was significantly bigger. I don't know if i torn anything. I'm kinda of concern about it. It doesn't hurt except for soreness and no discoloring. Can someone tell me anything about it?
leslieherr
leslieherr
United States
2007/02/09, 09:13 AM
Identifying A Torn Bicep Muscle
When you?re lifting excessively heavy weights or just haven?t warmed up properly, you can increase your chances of a torn bicep muscle. This generally happens when the muscle is fully extended and is unable to handle the force of the weight.
When the bicep tear occurs, you will feel a sharp pain in your bicep, followed by more pain and bicep muscle weakness once you?ve put the weight down and eventually the area will bruise.
Preventing Bicep tear & Treating Torn Bicep Muscle
A bicep tear can be a very serious injury. If you experienced the conditions as described above, you should stop your workout immediately, and consult a doctor. Further stress placed on torn biceps will only worse the bicep muscle injury.
For mild cases of bicep tear, therapy program involving range of motion exercises is usually need. In some severe cases, you may require surgery to repair the tear. The best advice is to see a doctor immediately if you think that you might have a bicep tear ? continuing to workout through the pain can lead to permanent damage.
mptruong
mptruong
United States
2007/02/10, 04:33 AM
thanks for the reply. I'll probably go see a professional next week. I've been doing a lot of research on the injury and I think i torn the proximal bicep. My main concern is strength loss. Would there be strength loss from a partial tear?
leslieherr
leslieherr
United States
2007/02/10, 12:07 PM
I would think there will be some strength loss. Might be a little or alot if you are diagnosed as having a torn muscle, its really going to depend on how long you are going to be unable to use that muscle. You will need to rest the muscle so as not to make it worse. They probably are not going to want you to be lifting heavy weights for a while, the dr. may let you lift light weights. Check with him/her first.
The more you lift while injured the more you risk worse damage.
It would be best to follow dr's instructions than to end up having to have surgery which will for sure lead to muscle loss.