Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

Over-training

Irondaughter
Irondaughter
Australia
2006/12/31, 12:09 AM
I recently had to reduce my training schedule on here from 5 days, to 3 days a week, because I found that I'm over-training again!!
Alot of the fitness advice you hear these days is for people trying to lose weight, but for me, being at the low end of the 'healthy' BMI range for my height, following a program geared for people wanting to lose weight, I run out of energy stores and over-train myself, yet again. (I've suffered from severe Body Dismorphic Disorder since I was 10. I'm gettig better now though.)
I hate over-training because I feel like absolute #*@!, get really grumpy, and can't wake up early on the mornings that I go for a run.
Does anyone else have this sort of problem??
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/01/04, 05:21 PM
If you're at the low end of the healthy range, you're probably not overtraining, you're more than likely undereating. For someone suffering from BDD this is very likely.

Why are you following a program aimed at losing weight???

--------------
Iron and chalk.
shaunbroyhill
shaunbroyhill
United States
2007/01/04, 05:26 PM
I agree with wrestler. That is a classic symptom of undereating. How many calories, and how many grams fat/protien/carbs do you eat a day, compared to your weight?
Irondaughter
Irondaughter
Australia
2007/01/05, 05:09 AM
I don't count calories, or measure my grams of fat. I try to eat a general healthy diet, plus the occasional chocolate cookies, or pizza.
I can't eat red meat as I have a genetic defect which means that I have very high iron levels, but I eat plenty of white meat, and also take low levels of vitamins to make sure I'm not missing anytihing important.
I'm trying to avoid a program aimed at losing weight, but have you ever noticed that all the exercise programs that are published are either for losing weight or gaining weight/muscle mass?? All I want to do is learn how to properly maintain my current weight, figure and strength levels, but nothing's ever about long term maintenance, it's always about losing or gaining, and I don't need either of those.
I'm in the lower level of the healthy BMI range simply because of genetics. I am not a physically large person, and therefore have nothing to lose.
How about I re-phrse my questions: Does anyone know the best way to maintain one's current weight, figure and strength, without gaining, losing or yo-yoing??

--------------
To Find Power, Turn Within.
ATIGER
ATIGER
United States
2007/01/05, 09:51 AM
Go with the programs for gains. Do not worry, you will not blow up into Ms Olympia. You will get your desired results....but you may want to count calories for a few days to see exactly where you stand. Most people are way off what they think that eat. Good luck
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2007/01/05, 11:50 AM
I agree with atiger...anytime you're trying to cut/gain/maintain you need to learn what's called your maintenance calories...this requires some amount of counting calories in/out (what you consume vs what you expend in activity). Once you know what your maintenance is then you can better determine how much activity you need and calories you can eat to maintain.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/01/06, 02:05 AM
Most programs are *marketed* towards losing fat or gaining muscle. In actuallity, just because a program is "designed" for fat loss does not mean it was actually put together with fat loss in mind. Most of the programs I read aimed towards losing fat aren't very well written if that is the goal, or in general.

I think you are overthinking things.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
Vectorfsm
Vectorfsm
United States
2007/01/30, 03:10 PM
I like the input on here pretty good advice