Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

Help!

kellyquinlan
kellyquinlan
United States
2006/10/20, 08:59 AM
I'm new to FT - and I just started logging everything I eat.(which I'm loving more and more each day) I'm 28 and fairly thin except around the waist - which I just got this year! I'm only 28 and I thought I ate fairly healthy (I guess not)- I'm learning alot about diet and fitness but I'm having a very hard time with controling what I eat on a daily basis - I tend to go way over my fat intake according to the chart given to me by FT. I thought there were some good fats to eat so I'm confused on why my intake is only 42g a day. I'm eating (without realizing) about 70-100g a day but most good fat..I stay away from bad fat. Any tips or suggestions anyone can give me and starting out with diet and fitness too would greatly be appreciated!!!
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/10/20, 09:07 AM
Kelly - it makes it easier to answer if you're more specific. What fats in your diet do you consider good fats?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/20, 09:10 AM
Hi Kelly - what is your calorie intake? Your fat intake, even good should only be 20-30% of that.

So, for example, a 2000 calorie diet would have 44-66g of fat a day.

Stick to natural foods and lean proteins and steam, bake or broil most things and you should e able to keep you fat lower.

--------------

AIM HIGH TIME FLIES
kellyquinlan
kellyquinlan
United States
2006/10/20, 10:31 AM
These are my goals each day -

calories 1931
carbs 290
protein 145
fats 23.6

I'm considering good fats saturated fats - maybe I'm wrong -this eating healthy stuff is very hard to train yourself into doing and you don't realize how bad your eating habits are until you track them. My fats seem to be way over between about 50-100g a day..and its not bad food I'm eating.
kellyquinlan
kellyquinlan
United States
2006/10/20, 10:35 AM
By the way - Thanks guys for the help! Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated. It's hard to train yourself to do something you know nothing about!
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/10/20, 10:50 AM
It's fairly easy to keep it simple once you get into a routine. I'm posting a link and partial article that might make it clearer for you.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fat/NU00262

Healthy fats

When choosing fats, your best options are monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. These fats, if used in place of others, can lower your risk of heart disease by reducing the total and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels in your blood. Cholesterol, which your body produces for building cells, is the main substance in fatty deposits (plaques) that can develop in your arteries. Plaques that build up can reduce blood flow through your vessels, increasing your risk of heart disease and stroke.

One type of polyunsaturated fat, omega-3 fatty acids, may be especially beneficial to your heart. Omega-3s appear to decrease the risk of coronary artery disease. They may also protect against irregular heartbeats and help lower blood pressure levels.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/20, 09:25 PM
What do you eat, in general? What do your meals look like?

--------------

AIM HIGH TIME FLIES
kellyquinlan
kellyquinlan
United States
2006/10/21, 03:57 PM
Breakfast I usually eat eggs whites, english muffin or oatmeal.
I split my lunch into 2 meals because I eat 5 small meals a day..usually chicken, carrots, brocoli, I drink each day a class of no fat choc milk (I need the calcium) dinner is usually lean meat or chicken, with a veggie. I have a protein shake everday with flax oil in it (which seems to have alot of fat in it) but that is good fat I know.
When I count my meals on the diet tracker the fats are high...maybe its wrong not sure.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/21, 06:14 PM
even with the flax oil , that doesn't seem too high in fat, sounds like you diet is pretty good. I wouldn't worry too much about the tracker here, maybe see how it compares to fitday.com? I generally track things in anote bok, myself, it si too tedious to enter it all online.

--------------

AIM HIGH TIME FLIES