Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

I'm kindof depressed right now..

jlowe64
jlowe64
United States
2006/09/07, 11:39 AM
I didn't know where to turn for help. It seems like most people don't want to know about your problems and they tend to shun you for them.

I'm 23 and I'm very large, and I'm not talking about muscle here, I'm talking about fat. I don't know if anyone has ever been here, but when I was 9 my dad passed away and I turned to food to deal with my emotions. I use to be thin, but I'm obviously not anymore. It just seems like the weight packed on without me even noticing it. By the time I noticed and wanted to do something about it, I was very big. I'm talking over 400 lbs. I'm not exactly sure how big I was really.

Anyways, I lost a bunch of weight, but for the last couple of years I've been hanging around the 350lbs mark and can't seem to get down. I go into these spurts where I'm extremely motivated to lose weight (but fail), and I go through times where I just want to give up on it all (because of my failure).

So here I am, and I'm depressed because of my weight. I do not feel attractive, I do not feel worth much at all, and that's just the honest truth. I want to lose the weight, but I feel so lost doing it. I always fail at losing weight and this failure keeps me from wanting to try again.

I really don't know what to do. And I'm not sure any of you would care either way about it, but I guess I needed to get it off my chest.

~Jerrett
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/09/07, 11:45 AM
So have you talked to a doctor for help? I understand being fat and depressed trust me. First step is to treat the depression. GO GET HELP! Get meds if you need them. Secondly I know this is kind of harsh, but get off your ass! Just go for a walk right now or something. Move a bit. Working out can actualy fight depression it is how I control my dark beast of depression that I have. Thirdly, make a decision to get leaner. No waffling around and such, it took years to add the weight set a goal to lose it. Start small with the goals even if it is one mile walked a day 3 times a week. Then make harder to reach goals as you complete the others.

Please take the time to go see your doctor.

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
jlowe64
jlowe64
United States
2006/09/07, 11:53 AM
Yeah I've talked to a doctor about it, he just stuck me on Wellbutrin XL. I didn't like the way it made me feel, I felt all "floaty" and "happy depressed" all the time. I don't think my depression is a result of needing medication but rather controlling my thought patterns -- at least that's what the psychologist said.

Well I guess you should know what I currently do. I walk 6 times a week, usually a mile a day, I do the benchpress a few times a week. The weights just NOT coming off -- and that's what makes me sad.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/09/07, 11:54 AM
Well that is not enough
a bench press is not a workout lOL

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!

jlowe64
jlowe64
United States
2006/09/07, 12:03 PM
Oh...
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/09/07, 12:08 PM
First what is your eating habits like?
second what access to a gym etc do you have
thrid you are doing walking.
Are you Male or female?

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!

jlowe64
jlowe64
United States
2006/09/07, 12:21 PM
Sorry about my profile, I tried to update it and it just erased all the data in it and I can't seem to get it back. I'll try to update it later (maybe there is a bug or something).

I'm Male.

I'm walking at least 30-45 minutes a day (sometimes 1 mile, sometimes 2 miles).

I have no gym access, the closest gym to my house is nearly 50 miles away.

Eating habits.. I try to stay away from sugar, I rarely have anything with sugar in it. I stay away from fast food, and if I can't help fast food, I go for something like a grilled chicken salad with fat free dressing. I stay away from high-fat dairy and only drink skim milk. I try to eat smaller portions, usually the suggested serving size. I try my best to "graze" throughout the day instead of having 3 big meals, but that rarely works out. I'm usually not hungry until late afternoon, so I end up forcing myself to eat things at designated times (though I fail sometimes). I'm eally bad about eating in the mornings. I think I might restrict myself far too much throughout the day, which might kill my blood sugar levels. I have a weak spot for Mexican food and anything that is considered "savory". I'm not a big sweets eater. I try my best not to eat those things though, I know Mexican food is horrible for me so I try to stay away (but often fail). Thank God I'm not around Mexican food too often. I also stay away from anything that might be considered junk food (other than Mexican food on occasion).

I honestly don't think I'm eating enough. Usually I just skip eating if I think it's too fattening.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/09/07, 12:35 PM
Well I want to be totaly honest with you..ok?
I thought I was eating 2500 cals a day. In reality I was eating 4000+ a day. How tall are you and your weight is 350? I hate to say it but the only way to maintian that weight and or get heavier is to eat too much. What you need to do is go to fitday.com (online food tracker). Log everything from mustard and other condiment to the actual food etc. Be honest if youeat a big mac add that in ok? you need to get a idea what amount you are eating. Nice thing is at 23 you are still way young so losing should be easier.
What weight lifting equip do you have?

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!

jlowe64
jlowe64
United States
2006/09/07, 01:13 PM
I'm 5'11, 353 lbs.

I have a (bear with me I don't know equipment names) benchpress with the leg attachment on it, tricep bar, curl bar and 225 lbs. of weight.

As far as my food, you're probably right.. I try to watch what I eat, but I bet I'm getting more than I think. I'm gonna start my fitday account back.

I went for a mile walk a few minutes ago, and I feel a bit better. I'm not depressed anymore, but I want to work on this and do this right. I'm tired of what I am and how I feel. I want to be at least 300 by Christmas, so that's 50 lbs.

My overall goal is to be about 170-175 or something like that. I think I can do it.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/09/07, 01:25 PM
Wow ok then you can do any thing you want workout wise. Sign up here for a routine which one does not really matter. do it till it ends then look to see what you want to do.

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!

jlowe64
jlowe64
United States
2006/09/07, 01:38 PM
I signed up for the abs workout and the weight loss workout.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/09/07, 01:58 PM
Cool now just do them
also track your food

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!

kimberluvr
kimberluvr
United States
2006/10/03, 03:59 AM
jerrett i was the same way, i was depressed for a real long time when i was in high school, i even had a gun to my head, i went to psychiatrists and everything, it's a really long story, but the bottom line is, i got through it, and you can too, you need to stop thinking that you're ugly and you need to start thinking that you can do it, and i know you can, start take 7707mutt's advice, i was reading'em and he has great some great tips, don't think of yourself like that, you're not the only person that's going through what you're going through right now, everybody's rootin for you.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2006/10/03, 12:40 PM

============
Quoting from kimberluvr:
"everybody's rootin for you. "
=============
:big_smile:

--------------
Thinking of a new signature line.

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
slorbets
slorbets
Canada
2006/10/05, 09:30 PM
A doctor is not always the best solution to deal with the depression. It sounds like you have a lot of emotional issues with eatting, you may still be dealing with issues about your father, also you seem to be dealing with a lot of emotional issues about your body. To deal with these issues, my best advise is to see a counselor or psychologist. They would be able to help you deal with those issues more than a regular family doctor would.

Getting some emotional support should be your first priority. Once you start dealing with the depression, loosing weight will become much easier for you.

Also, as others have posted above, exercise is an excellent way to deal with depression, and I am sure that if you seek out help from a counslor/ psychologist, they would also suggest the same thing!
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2006/10/06, 11:06 AM
jlowe, ive been and still am going through alot of stuff, heavy stuff and get real depressed sometimes and used to turn to drugs and alcohol to ease the pain in turn making it alot worse, ive found just a friendly ear of someone that really listens is a godsend, if you ever need to lighten your load, leave me a message and we'll meet in the chat room or you could call me, im very good when it comes to listening, maybe because of my trials and tribulations that i have endured, im not sure, but id love to help if i could, that goes for anyone here, let me know ok....

--------------
By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he\'s wrong ....

Charles Wadsworth
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2006/10/06, 06:55 PM
Bill you are amazing!

--------------
Thinking of a new signature line.

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)