Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

When to take Whey!

Chris1980
Chris1980
Canada
2002/09/07, 03:41 AM
Hey guys,
I've been working out and taking Whey protein. I am trying to make a time sheet as to when I should take my shakes and when to eat regular meals. I usually have my shake after my workout and a mean prior to working out.

What I want to know is, would it be the same if I took my shake one day prior to a workout and then have a meal as a post workout meal. So I guess basically switching the 2 meals around. Only reason why I ask is because I know a protein shake is a good post workout "quickie".

gwood
gwood
Canada
2002/09/07, 09:12 PM
check out the "supplements" message board and read the post "Surprising article on whey protein." Hope this answers your question.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/09/08, 11:49 AM
Your best bet is to take a whey protein shake immediately post training. Research has shown that a "liquid" meal gets into your system much faster than a whole food meal, and you want a fast absorbing protein like whey. You will also want a small amount of hi glycemic carbs with it for insulin response. Thus you will get the most benefit from it. Recent research has also shown that a protein drink before workout can greatly increase your nitrogen balance and put you in an anabolic state for your workout. Within an hour after training, eat your whole food meal. By the way, I guess you are trying to gain?
Chris1980
Chris1980
Canada
2002/09/09, 12:53 AM
Yes BB1Fit, I am trying to gain weight. Its been really hard to pack up muscle. Especially since i read the report about how protein is bad for you because its puts us in a catabolic state after the protein needed for the body is needed, the rest of the whey protein (from a shake) is being thrown to waste which leaves our bodies starving till our next real meal. Kinda scary!
Chris1980
Chris1980
Canada
2002/09/09, 12:55 AM
Oh and by the guys, I've checked the supplements message board and I couldn't find anything regarding my topic. I've even read the articles given by FT. But that bit of knowledge wasn't enough. I was hoping the educated members on this site can provide me with more info. But if you guys found something I didn't please cut and paste it to this topic and let me know about it. THanks!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/09/09, 01:28 PM
Chris....that is why a protein "blend" is so much better during the day. The fast absorbing whey is great immediately post training. Your muscles are screaming for amino acids to be replenished. You can put yourself in an anabolic state immediately if you read what I earlier posted. Insulin is the most anabolic hormone in the body, and what you are trying to do is make use of what the body can give you. The trick is to stay in this state. That is why it is advisable to eat a whole food meal within 1 hour after your whey shake. Add some higher glycemic carbs such as white potato or white rice. Then within another hour, have a MRP blended shake with a little less but still some high glycemic carbs. Then you want to feed your body every 3 hours minimum some blended proteins with lower glycemic carbs. this will keep your body in an anabolic state most of the time. It gets much deeper than this, timing is really critical. But maybe this "nutshell" helps.