Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

I Am New to Whey Protein -- Help

davidday
davidday
United States
2006/06/14, 08:11 AM
Okay, so I bought some Six Star Body Fuel Advanced Whey Protein. My questions are:

1. Is this stuff any good? I mean I know it tastes good, but what about the quality of the product?

2. On the packaging it says, "Use this product as a food supplement only. Do not use for weight reduction." Well, problem is -- I need to lose weight. I'm 5'10" and weigh 258 lbs. Is the "do not use for weight reduction" line just standard jargon on all protein powders, or will it actually keep me from losing weight?

FYI: Here's the list of ingredients. Is there anything here I should avoid as I try to lose fat and add lean muscle?

Other Ingredients: WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE** (PROVIDING DI-, TRI-, OLIgO-, AND POLYPEPTIDES), ALKALIZED COCOA POWDER, WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE** (ION-EXCHANGED 97% PURITY), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS (DEXTROSE, MODIFIED STARCH, PROPYLENE GLYCOL), PARTIALLY HYDROLYZED WHEY PROTEIN**, BORAGE OIL (GELATIN, MALODEXTRIN, SODIUM CASENIATE, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDE, MIXED TOCOPHEROLS), FLAX OIL POWDER (GLUCOSE SYRUP, MANNITOL), SUCRALOSE, ACESULFAME-POTASSIUM, MALODEXTRIN, SOY LECITHIN, SILICON DIOXIDE.
**Ingredients derived from milk.

Thanks in advance!

--------------
Dave
----------------------------------------
Eu achei um amor que é bom para mim...
davidday
davidday
United States
2006/06/14, 08:31 AM
I also forgot to mention that it has Creatine Monohydrate, Guar Gum, Glutamine alpha-ketoglutarate, glutamine peptides, L-Glutamine, L-leucine, L-Valine, and L-Isoleucine.

I have no idea what they are...

--------------
Dave
----------------------------------------
Eu achei um amor que é bom para mim...
mysticgraces
mysticgraces
Canada
2006/06/14, 08:43 AM
If you drink enough of it,it can stop you from losing weight..its a supplement only designed to increase your protein intake...how many protein shakes people use in a day varies..but I personally only use it once a day after a workout.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/06/14, 09:01 AM
Bottom line tolose weight( this is something that took me until a month ago to really learn) is to control calorie intake. If you take a shake you need to realize that those calories count to you intake in a given day.

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2006/06/17, 03:29 PM
I think when they say not to use it for weight loss they are referring to the days when people were going on liquid protein diets to lose weight and they were getting very sick or dying. They just want you to know that this product is not intended for that purpose. That does not mean it can't be included in a diet that is meant to promote weight loss. I think they are just protecting themselves.