Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Are too much dairy products dangerous?

Arngrim
Arngrim
Canada
2002/04/23, 12:04 AM
Hi, I was just wondering if someone could tell me whether consuming too much dairy products is dangerous to my health?
I drunk about 5 8 ounce glasses of skim milk a day and eat about 2 servings of cottage cheese and 1 serving of low fat yogurt a day. I need to have a high calorie diet and a high protein diet but cutting back on these will deter my goals of gaining mass. I know I may be only consuming skim milk and low fat yogurt but can too much still be dangerous and is it possible that I might get a calcium overdose if there is such a thing from what I am currently eating? If, so then how much dairy products should I be consuming daily to stay within a healthy range?

Thanks!
jamesz
jamesz
United States
2002/04/23, 09:46 AM
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Especially since you are choosing the low/non fat items out of the dairy group. The bad part of dairy is the fat. You are avoiding whole milk, and it doesn't sound like you are eating whipping cream so you are doing fine. I myself drink similar amounts of milk, only I mix my protein in with powdered non fat milk. The rest of the milk I drink during the day is skim (real) milk.

As far as ODing on calcium. Your body will absorb what it needs, and excrete the rest. There are occasions of build up of calcium deposits, but these are rare. Your calcium is also coming through natural foods, and not a supplemental pill, which is another bonus for you.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/04/23, 02:01 PM
as long as ur not lactose-intolerant, i dont think can really ever OD on dairy. the only possible major problem that can occur that an over-abundance of calcium can add to is the development of kidney stones; but there are many other factors that are involved in that as well, including a pre-disposition to them. i used to drink at least a gallon of milk a day, plus cottage cheese, yogurt, milk proteins, cheese, cream, etc., and i have never had any problems.

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
Arngrim
Arngrim
Canada
2002/04/24, 06:57 PM
Whew! That took a load of my shoulders thanks a lot guys for your tips.
skinnyguy
skinnyguy
United States
2002/05/11, 12:49 AM
i also drink A LOT of milk and eat about 2.5 cups of cottage cheese a day. It doesn't seem to bother me. I've drank tons of milk ever since I was young. I never drink soda, only milk, water, or juice.

--------------
Vaya con Dios... Keith
Mathiau
Mathiau
Costa Rica
2002/07/24, 12:15 AM
too much vitamin c i beleive can cause Kidney stones :) as i was reading cause i am sure i have ahd them

<---- use to drink 4L jugs a day when i was younger, still can, but cut back because of the possible kidney stones.

May want to read up on kidney stones.

--------------
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯The trouble with life is there’s no background music¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯Some people are alive only because it’s illegal to kill them¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯God must love stupid people, he made so many of them¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯Life ain't short, your just dead for too frick'n dam long!`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸They know what is what, but they don't know what is what, they just strut,WTF!¸.·´¯)