Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

loosing weight

hustlenblaze
hustlenblaze
United States
2006/04/20, 03:59 AM
ok i weigh 188 pounds and im 5'6. i do 50 min of cardio in the morning before i eat anything and lift weights every day. i am looking to loose around 30 more pounds as i have already lost about 20 in the past 3 months as fast as possible so i was wondering if in the morning i should do weights or cardio first and whether it will be more beneficial to eat some egg whites or have a protein shake before or after my hard work out, or if at all? also will protein drinks make me gain weight which is something i dont want?
lilbee99
lilbee99
United States
2006/04/26, 09:04 PM
Alright, what u need to do is have a protein shake first thing in the morning before you do your exercise routine. And you need to decrease your weight training because it slows down the weight lost process, and increase your cardio. 1 hour after your workout, you eat your egg whites or whatever you plan on eating. I recommend drinking another protein shake for dinner with a very strict diet. I am on the David Kirsch New York Diet Plan, which is great because it's a plan that makes you loose 20 pounds in 2 weeks with, a very intense cardio and light weight traning that really does work! I think you should definitley look into that. you can find the book in any bookstore and the video at target or wal-mart. Or better yet if you have access to ordering online, you can go to his website, www.theultimatenewyorkbodyplan.com. Good luck in all! and i hope my info has been of some help.

--------------
Lily
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/04/26, 11:02 PM
hustlenblaze, I suggest you browse the numerous threads in this forum on how to properly lose weight. Losing 20 pounds in two weeks is unhealthy, to say the very least. If you think your losing 20 pounds of fat, your being mis-lead. IMO, I would put the emphasis on weight training and do some cardio on your off days, leaving at least one full day of rest from everything each week. Have a meal about 45 minutes to an hour before you workout consisting of a good protein source and slow burning carb(eggwhites are fine, oats are a good slow burning carb). After your workout, have a protein shake with some simple sugars. Drink 1/2 right away and sip the other 1/2 over 30 minutes. Also have a meal 1-2 hours after with a good protein source and a complex carb(like chicken breast-no skin and a sweet potato). On your cardio days, have the protein, drink 1/3 on the way to the gym and sip the other 2/3 while doing your cardio. Again have a meal when you return home as mentioned above. Other than this just keep yourself below your daily maintenance calories and try to eat 5-7 smaller meals a day(I listed three, have lunch, dinner and a snack and you have six) and you will lose weight in a healthy manner, saving lean mass and defining what you have.

--------------
She sits and wonders why.....no more.
lilbee99
lilbee99
United States
2006/04/27, 02:14 PM
Losing 20 pounds in 2 weeks, isn't unhealthy if your doing it right, it's a quick way to lose the weight but, after those 2 weeks, you add fruits, dairy and all the foods that you should alwayz include in a healthy diet. Mojo, you shouldn't be so judgmental about my advice because it seems like you have no clue as to what The New York Diet Plan consists of, you should really try looking it up first.

--------------
Lily
ATIGER
ATIGER
United States
2006/04/27, 02:49 PM
Sorry lilbee99 but Mojo has it pegged. His entire post is A-Z how to get your weight under control. Losing 20 lbs in 2 weeks is just not healthy, the right way to do it, and it will not last for the long term. I admit I do not know anything about the NY diet but from the info that you have given, it is not the correct heathly way to accomplish weight loss goals. Someone can lose about 10 lbs right now by cutting off their arm but that does not mean it is the way to go. Not bashing you by any means but I think that it is you that needs to research, not Mojo
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/04/27, 02:55 PM
Losing 20lb in 2 weeks is unhealthy no matter how you look at it. 1-2 lbs per week is a reasonable goal that is not only sustanable over a long period of time, but you are more likely to maintain the loss long after you've reached your goal. I am not familiar with The New York Diet Plan, but I don't think any plan that has you losing 20lb in 2 weeks is worth investing in, IMO. Mojo is simply providing good sound advice effective for long term weight loss.

Libee99, please fill out your profile.

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/04/27, 04:56 PM
I agree!!! Losing 20lbs in 2 weeks is a very bad idea, especially if you've already lost some weight on your own and build some lean muscle mass. A hardcore diet like that will take away all you've worked for so far, diets like that one give people false hope! ....hustlenblaze follow Mojo's advice, he knows what he's talking about!

--------------
"One Ring to rule them all; One Ring to find them; One Ring to bring them all, and in the Darkness bind them." -LOTR Trilogy
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/04/27, 05:13 PM
As I'm the curious type, I had to do a quick search for reviews but don't have the time to look at medical sources. This is the summary from the first one I found - the full article is at the link.

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/reviews/new_york_body_plan.htm
REVIEW By WLR Dietitian
Juliette Kellow BSc SRD
The author is famous for getting A-list stars such as Heidi Klum and Liv Tyler into shape, as well as being involved in the TV series ‘Extreme Makeovers.’ If you fancy two weeks of boot-camp style diet and exercise, you’ll probably enjoy it. But in general, it’s an extreme programme that only the most die-hard and dedicated of slimmers will be able to stick with. You’ll also need to be physically fit before your start to manage the exercise routines – it’s definitely not the right plan for you if you have more than a stone to lose and haven’t done any exercise for years. Meanwhile, prepare for the weight to pile back on when you return to normal eating and exercise habits. This is a quick fix rather than a long term plan.
lilbee99
lilbee99
United States
2006/04/27, 05:45 PM
Yes Mike, thanks for looking up that info because it helps other people understand what i'm refering to. I know it's a very extreme diet but their are alot of success stories coming out of that plan, it's a quick way to lose weight and also a bit risky but, to me and hundreds or other people it's worth it!

--------------
Lily
ATIGER
ATIGER
United States
2006/04/27, 05:51 PM
Sorry but even if people lose weight on it - it does not make it healthy or worthwhile. you can not eat for several days and lose weight but it is not healthy nor will it last. Again not bashing you lilbee99 but if you are looking at losing little weight for a very short period of time then this is for you. If you are looking at a long term weight solution, this program is a waste. Sorry
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/04/27, 05:55 PM
Lily - it might seem like folks are ganging up on you but it isn't the case. Many of us on here have been working at improving fitness and knowledge for more years than we care to admit (me anyway :) ) and the problem I personally have with any extreme diet is that it isn't long term. If a person suddenly develops an iron will power and super exercise routine they can maintain a long range life style change. The problem is, the average person doesn't have that iron will power or they wouldn't have gotten fat in the first place. Virtually every long term study I've read shows that well over 80% of the people that lose large amounts of weight on extreme diets have it back on (and then some) in less than a year. That's the reason most all of us push for a slow and steady life style change and not massive loss in two weeks. It's proven and people can stick with without all the pain.
lilbee99
lilbee99
United States
2006/04/27, 06:03 PM
You know what tiger? i've got a couple dayz more to go until i'm done with this NY plan, and i've seen results, i know what your saying about the results not lasting long but, this plan shows me exactly how to continue having the body i have now by, getting all my protein, completing my workouts 4-5 times a week, and just being active! Damn, cut me some slack here people, everyone has their own opinions and i have my own!

--------------
Lily
ATIGER
ATIGER
United States
2006/04/27, 06:07 PM
We are not being mean. I think almost everyone on this site started off doing some fad diet - which is what this is. Personally, I did the atkins diet and lost alot of weight but when I went off the very restrictive diet, I gained all the weight back and more. Now I have more knowledge then I did before and know what I need to do to do it right so it will be a lifetime of change and not a short period of time. True...everyone has their own opinions but YOU asked for ours in your post. We are just trying to help you not go done some of the the same wrong paths that we did. No harm intended
lilbee99
lilbee99
United States
2006/04/27, 06:08 PM
Oh and another thing, i've alwayz been active, i wasn't fat or overweight before i started this plan, i just really wanted to tone up some areas and form a strong, lean body. And this sure has helped me with my goal.

--------------
Lily
lilbee99
lilbee99
United States
2006/04/27, 06:10 PM
Theirs no hard feelings here, i'm just trying to make my point. :big_smile:

--------------
Lily
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/04/27, 06:24 PM
Let's just blame it on blaze since she started it.:big_smile:
I hate beating a dead horse but I'll do it anyway. I've read several of your posts Lily and it's pretty obvious from your writing that you care. That's why most of us that post on here regularly keep coming back. If you've read many posts on FT you'll see that none of us have any qualms about inserting a counter pointer whether the poster is a "regular" or not. We do a fair job of cross checking each other and it works well. If you keep recommending a radical diet, you'll have a rash of responses each time saying that it's a junk diet. :) It obviously worked for you but as you said, you weren't over weight to start with. That's not the case with most of the people that come here for help and we won't let you set them up for a fall. I'll shut up now. :)
ATIGER
ATIGER
United States
2006/04/27, 07:11 PM
Man, I was hopin that no one had read my last post. I got half way home and realized that i compleely screwed up my comments. Sorry
lilbee99
lilbee99
United States
2006/04/27, 09:30 PM
Ah, okay, i see wat ur sayin mike, it's all good, i'll just stop posting my recommendations on this site because it's obvious that my advice is wrong and it's just setting everyone who belives me, up for failure. I'm not trying to be imature or trying to make this a big deal, cause it isn't but...... i'll just ask you (the professionals) guyz questions when i need help. Wow, it's sad that this posting ended this way. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm not pissed though! Talk to u guyz later!

--------------
Lily
juliehay
juliehay
Australia
2006/05/06, 04:32 AM
hi, my name is Julesbabe, and i am just new to this site, i haven't posted a photo on my profile yet, but will do sometime this week.i am 55yrs old,5'3"tall,weigh 55kilos(121lbs)and do physical work each and everyday (cleaning)i am reasonably healthy,not fit and healthy enough,never had a weight problem till now, putting on weight round my middle,very uncomfortable,want to lose between 10-15 lbs,as quickly as is possible....can anyone suggest a good diet and daily exercise regime?

julie
HAMMER916
HAMMER916
United States
2008/01/15, 06:02 PM
I AM 24 YEARS OLD I WEIGH 259 POUNDS AND I AM TRYING TO GET TO 2OO POUND OR LESS I M LOOKING FOR A WAY TO GET FIT WITH OUT HAVING TO GO TO A GYM. LOOKING FOR OME WAYS OTHER THAN SIT UPS AND PUSH UPS!