Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Ruptured discs in lower back Need Help!

Maddawg
Maddawg
United States
2006/04/08, 03:00 PM
I am a 41 year old wieghtlifter, and martial artist.
Three years ago I was 150lbs., and in excellent condition, until I hurt my back....

Now I am 185lbs. two inches shorter:( , cannot do martial arts:( , or lift to lose the weight( The weight is also causing further damage to my lower back!)

The Doc wants me to work out in the gym, but has no idea as to what exercises I should do that will not cause problems with my lower back.
I am a high energy person, and have been slowly going nuts without physical activities to burn off the energy!

Any ideas on exercises that won't hurt my back???
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/04/08, 06:09 PM
Hey Maddawg - I went through the back thing back in the mid 80's and was stuck in a chair for over a year so I know what you're going through. Back in those days the conventional wisdom was to do nothing till you got stronger but I couldn't ever figure out how that worked. :) I did virtually every exercise that didn't involve resistance in a bent over position unless I could stabilize my mid section by either holding onto something or lying on a bench. That doesn't sound clear - I would do rows with my chest on a bench, tons of one arm rows, even more tons of pulldown movements, nothing heavy overhead but normal for most people military press and the like. Do your normal post therapy hyper extensions and whatever else the therapists gave you to do and if you aren't already doing it, learn to really freeze your abs no matter what the exercise and it helps to stabilize the lower back area.

--------------
Mike
in Pensacola Now.
Pytbull
Pytbull
Canada
2006/05/14, 09:43 AM
I had a ruptured disc at l5/s1 and was "paralyzed" for 2 weeks.Had the surg ASAP,fell better now.No probs now.I was very carefull for a year and now I am lifting and so on.I know they reconmend core exercises