Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

back problems still

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/01/28, 06:30 PM
As you knwo my training is been not so great since my pulled backmuscle. I Am goinmg to see a docter...this comming friday.....cause it still bothers me....weird thing is...somedays it hurts other days it don't.

For example...I went to work out and do some legs...workout went well...did higher reps than normally...more "bodybuilding style" i guess. Next day I was A lil sore...but not to bad. Just sore...kinda.

Today i went to work...and It was hurting, but of coarse i have to bend up and down alot. However after about 10o clock...good as new...??

This is so odd.....i'm staryting to worry its somthing wrong with my spine and not just soft tissue damage.

Any clues?

--------------
Friends don't let friends squat high...

People don't reach thier true potental, only those who seek it.
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/01/28, 07:05 PM
Hopefully it's just a muscle but I'm way too familiar with those symptoms and you might have some disk pushing out there.

--------------
Mike
in Pensacola Now.
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/01/28, 07:14 PM
I'm with Mike on this one. I'd play it safe untl you've seen a Dr. on Friday. Better safe than laid up. Anyway Andrew your in your early 20's and active, you don't need to start having back problems now. Best of luck to you.

--------------
Seize the day!
2006/01/29, 04:09 AM
Been there, done that.....my guess is you pinched a nerve...
Although safety first, and seeing a doctor is a must, I highly doubt it's a disk problem or anything so serious....strained muscle or pinched nerve...

I would try light back extensions....on glute/ham....going progressively heavier as the muscle permits....

I was doing squats few years back, and did a sidestep after slightly losing balance...well guess what? I got a sharp pain in the back...and the pain continued for 6 months...a nagging kind after a while...nothing excruciating but definitely annoying...I started doing back extensions with progressively heavier weights and few weeks later it was gone......

chiropractor maybe?
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/01/29, 11:23 AM
take some time of from anything involving spinal compression. It won't hurt you.
Back extensions help to get fluid into the spinal column. I've heard a reverse hyperextension is great for this, but have never had the benefit of one.
Let us know how the doctors visit goes.

--------------
Iron and chalk.

Pain is only temporary, it is in your mind. If you can still walk, then you can still run.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/01/30, 06:38 PM
I've been doing all that...pinched nerves i thought came with some kinda tingly sinsation or somthing?

--------------

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/02/01, 04:50 PM
Another odd thing...other day for legs i did..

185/10
225/8
275/6
315/3

plus some seated ham curls 3x12----with stiff db dls 3x5
lunges2x10-------calves raises3x12

all this with 30-45sec rest breaks( doing some hypetrophy or a while) basicly pain free no belts or anything.......yet lil things still bother it.....like walking with my back pack?

--------------

2006/02/01, 06:00 PM
How's your posture when you wear the backpack?

Also you may want to put a pillow under your stomach/lower back...helped me relieve some of the pain when I messed it up....
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/02/02, 12:44 PM
chest up shoulders back...

--------------

2006/02/02, 06:18 PM
hmm weird...

and I used the pillow while I slept*....lol....

I am guessing this is due to the unrestricted nature of the movement and the continual shifting of things in your backpack......when you do an exercise, you always aim to keep the form the same, yet when you walk you may do things like turn, look to the side, etc....which put more stress on the lower back....and the barbell is fairly consistant in how the stress is placed on you.....the items in the backpack shift as you walk so the weight is distributed differently at different parts of the 'walk'....sort of like water shifting as you try to lift a keg filled halfway with water....
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/02/02, 09:23 PM
hows your rotational range of motion in your torso? side flexion range of motion? Strength?

--------------
Iron and chalk.

Pain is only temporary, it is in your mind. If you can still walk, then you can still run.
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/02/02, 10:15 PM
Andrew, play it safe man, opinions are like a$$holes, everybodys got one. It's your back. Go see a Dr tomorrow. Again back problems at your age would be a damn shame.

--------------
Seize the day!
2006/02/03, 12:03 AM
Haha ....well said Mojo...

We always suggest seeing a doctor....just not sure how many people end up taking that advice...
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/02/03, 01:50 AM
Gidde-up menace.

Thanks for taking my post so light-hearted. That's how I meant it. But after looking at it, I gotta admit, I thought it sounded kinda jerky.
It was not my intention and If you were offended I do apologize. That goes for all.

I like the idea that you take out as much time as you do to respond to other peoples threads.
Selfless acts have a lot to be said for them. Keep up the good work bro!

Here's to Andrews Dr visit:
ziggy zachi, ziggy zachi, oy oy oy!

--------------
Seize the day!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/02/03, 09:46 AM
I have maintained all my flexability.....I can rotate, I can grab my toes. I'm sore today from doing a lil stunting the other night.

As for my back pack... I only have a sketch pad....11 by 15in, one 3 in binder, and 1 2 in binder. A bottle of 20oze water on the side, and an umbrilla on the other side.

So i'm not carrying much weight.

yea i'm having trouble getting added back on my moms insurance.....So now feb 17 is my doc appt lol

--------------

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/02/04, 01:02 PM
mojo- if you don't offend at least one person a day, your not tyrying hard enough.

--------------
Iron and chalk.

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/02/04, 06:35 PM
i offend just by looking at people

--------------

Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/02/04, 09:49 PM
wrestler,
thanks alot man, that got when I least expected it, that's some funny $hit! I promise to try harder for now on.
Just for the record though, I'm sittin' here thinkin'...wow, finally a post from wrestler that's short enough to read and one I can unerstand...

Now that's funny!

Of course I'm just kidding. Your posts are always a good read. Always nice to know people can be a little less serious at times though.

Iron and chalk bro!

--------------
Seize the day!
pmartin2877
pmartin2877
United States
2008/05/20, 10:12 PM
andrew, what did the doc say? i have a problem with working out and need some advise. i have degenerative disc disease and have had my lumbar fused with rods, preventing me from situps and crunches and such. i recently had another herniated disc diagnosed causing some stenosis of the spinal collumn. doc told me to strengthen the core but didn't tell me how to do so without killing my back.

t
2008/05/23, 01:46 PM
Any type of crunch, sit up, twist, hyperextensions, glute/ham machine, reverse hyperextensions....ofcourse squats, deadlifts, and other compound exercises will also go a long way....

you should be asking a professional specializing in rehabilitation....ask your doc for referral because we do not know your limitations and exercises that may end up aggravating instead of helping you...the very fact that you cannot even do sit ups/crunches already speaks volumes about your limitations...
vinny186
vinny186
United States
2008/07/10, 09:34 PM
pmartin, you should avoid crunches. The combination of your back pain and a fairly useless exercise will get you no where fast.

A plank is a good core ex., as long as you're doing it correctly, just make sure you keep a neutral spine, activate youe transverse abs and fire those kegels. Also, keep your weight down, it'll do wonders for your back:)