Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Recipes - Beef, Lamb, Pork, Buffalo

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/08, 10:28 PM
MMMM, My favorite way to have beef is just to make a thick burger from 97% lean ground beef and cook it to med-rare, then top with tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, mustard, onion, you name it! Yum! I even like lean burgers for breakfast!

--------------
You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be.
- David Viscott

chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/01/08, 10:40 PM
Chimichangas

1/2 pound lean ground beef
1 (15-ounce) can fat-free refried beans
1 cup salsa
1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chile peppers
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoons chili powder
3 tablespoons diced sweet onion
8 flour or wheat low-fat tortillas
1 cup shredded non-fat Jalapeno Jack cheese
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
Additional salsa

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 13x9-inch baking dish with vegetable spray. In a large frying pan over medium heat, brown ground beef; add refried beans, salsa, chile peppers, chili powder, and onion; cook until heated through. Stir in Jalapeno Jack cheese.

Wrap tortillas in paper toweling and warm in microwave. Spoon 1/2 cup of beef mixture onto each tortillas. Fold in sides and roll up. Place in prepared baking dish. Bake, uncovered, approximately 20 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove from oven and serve with additional salsa and sour cream.

Makes 8 servings.

fat 6/cal 323 (not sure how much protein)
chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/01/08, 10:47 PM
Olé Mac & Cheese

8 oz ground beef (at least 90% lean)
1 cup chunky salsa
¾ cup water
3 oz uncooked elbow macaroni
3 oz reduced fat cheddar
¼ cup non-fat sour cream

In a large skillet misted with olive oil, brown the ground beef. Add in salsa and water; bring to a boil. Add uncooked macaroni. Mix well to combine. Low heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until macaroni is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese and sour cream. Continue cooking until cheese is melted and mixture is heated through.
Makes 4 1 cup servings.

I love having this with a side of green beans.
dnold
dnold
United States
2006/01/09, 08:53 PM
To juice up the lean ground meats, buffalo especially, added chopped peppers and tomatos to the ground meat then mix it good with your hands and form into patties. When cooked the veggies release moisture into the meat because the lean meat tends to dry out from lack of fat.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/09, 10:01 PM
Ground buffaklo also makes an awesome chili!

I saute an onion, some garlic, and the ground buffalo, then add crushed or diced tomatoes, two or three kinds of beans and a lot of chili powder. Simmer for as long as you can (flavor improves with time). MMM.

--------------
You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be.
- David Viscott

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/21, 05:36 PM
Here is an easy cassserole for your higher carb days:

hamburger casserole (hotdish here)

1.5 lbs extra lean ground beef
potatoes, peeled and sliced thin (I used about 3 lbs of Yukon gold potatoes, really tasty)
1/2 medium onion, minced.
Salt and pepper
Butter or olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray a 9X13 baking dish with cooking spray, then press the hamburger down into a thin layer on the bottom of the dish.
sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle the minced onion on top of the hamburger.
Layer potatoe slices over the burger, salt and pepper, another layer of potatoes, salt and pepper.

Dot with butter or sprinkle with olive oil.

Cover with foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours.

Serve with ketchup, if desired... it seems so plain, but it tastes really good.

--------------
I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor.
- Henry David Thoreau

chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/01/21, 06:40 PM
I wonder how some fat free cream of mushroom soup would be in that casserole. hmmmm. i might have to try it!
chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/01/21, 10:25 PM

Taco Squares

9 servings

1 can reduced fat crescent rolls
1 pound 93% ground beef
1 can tomato sauce (around 15 oz)
8 oz refried beans
1 T taco seasoning
3/4 c shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese

In a large skillet, brown meat. Drain. Add tomato sauce, beans and taco seasoning. Lower heat and simmer until heated through. Meanwhile, spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Pat rolls in, being sure to seal perforations. Bake 6-8 minutes at 375 until lightly browned. Spread meat mixture over crust. Bake for 10 minutes. Sprinkle cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts. Let stand 2-3 mins before serving.

Serve with sour cream
chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/01/21, 10:43 PM
HASHBROWN CASSEROLE

1 pd lean ground beef (7%fat)
1 chopped onion,
1 can cream of mushroom soup (98%FF),
1 can cream of chicken soup (98%FF),
hashbrowns 72 onion flavored tater tots (frozen)
1 cup "light" cheddar cheese (shredded)
Heat oven 350. Spray 9x13 dish. Place hashbrowns on bottom of dish. Brown beef and onion in large skillet (drain off excess liquid), mix in soups. Mix well. Spread mixture on top of tater tots. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake 40 minutes.

This is one of my favorites!!!!! great with a side of green beans!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/23, 04:52 PM
Pico Burger - my lunch today:big_smile:

Mix 4.5 oz extra lean ground beef with 1/2c pico de gallo, make into a patty. Cook on med-low heat in a small pan for 5 minutes, covered, then turn over and cook a few minutes more, add 1 slice ff sharp cheddar cheese, cook until cheese is melted.

I had it with a side of green beans with butter buds. The pico de gallo makes the burger moist,the whole meal was about 33g protein, low in carbs and relatively low in fat.

--------------
I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor.
- Henry David Thoreau

chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/01/23, 06:27 PM
Sold. Im fixing that for lunch tomorrow!
chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/02/08, 10:03 PM
The Fiber Burger

16 oz (1 lb) 97% lean ground beef
1 C canned black beans (mashed with a fork)
2-4 tsp chili powder
2 tsp minced garlic
4 tbsp diced green chili peppers (I used one small can)

Mix all the ingredients together and form patties.

The original recipe made 4 patties but they are very large. It could easily be made into 6 good sized burgers.

Here's the nutritional info (based on 4 servings)
269 calories
37 g protein
33 g carbs
4.4 g fat
120 mg cholesterol
7 g fiber
692 mg sodium

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/02/20, 03:32 PM
Beef bean and cabbage curry

Serves one.

4oz 93/7 lean ground beef 170 calories 8g fat 23g pro
1c shredded green cabbage 18 cal .2g fat 4g cho 1g pro
1.6g fiber
1/2c canned chickpeas 110 cal 1.5g fat 18g cho 6g pro
6g fiber
1/2c cooked rice 110 cal .5g fat 23g cho 3g pro .4 fiber

tsp curry powder (or to taste)

Preheat a nonstick pan, add beef, breaking it up with a spatula. After a few minutes, add the cabbage and curry powder, stir well. Afetr a minute, add the chickpeas and stir, then cover and cook about 5 minutes (until the cabbage is crisp-tender. Serve over rice.

Totals
Calories 408
fat 10.2g
CHO 45g, fiber 8g
protein 33g

--------------
Never, never, never, never give up.
- Winston Churchill
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/05/25, 10:53 AM
I lightened this easy recipe up a little - I didn't have any low-fat shredded cheese on hand, so i used regular cheese. Serve this with a salad and some green veggies to increase your fiber for the meal.

My Husband and daughter both liked this!

Cheeseburger Pie

6 servings

1 lb ground beef 95% lean
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2c skim milk
1 egg
5 egg whites
1 1/2c cheddar cheese, shredded
½ tsp oregano
¼ tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9” pie pan with non-stick spray. Brown the beef and onion together in a nonstick pan. Rain and set aside. Mix all the other ingredients in a large bowl, then add ground beef mixture. Pour mixture into prepared pie pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes.

You could reduce the fat content a lot by using low or no-fat shredded cheese, I just didn’t have any on hand.

Totals
Calories 1,505.5
Protein 160g
CHO 16.58g
Fat 83.8g
Fiber 1g

Per serving (6 servings)
Calories 251
Protein 27g
CHO 2.76g
Fat 14g
Fiber .16g

--------------

If you have a strong enough why you can bear almost any how.
- Nietzsche
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/09/20, 09:10 AM
Laree's Fit and Lean Meatloaf - from Stella's Kitchen, a cookbook available online

Ingredients

1 lb 96% lean ground beef
1/4c onion, diced
1/2 large green pepper, diced (I left this out and doubled the onion)
2 egg whites, beaten
1/4 c oat bran or oatmeal (quick or old-fashioned)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
8 oz reduced sodium tomato sauce
pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all of the ingredients (but only half the tomato sauce) together in a medium-sized bowl. Spoon into an 8X8 baking pan or bread loaf pan sprayed with cooking spray (I doubled the recipe, lined the bottom of my broiler pan with foil and shaped the mixture into a loaf in the middle, then surrounded it with cut-up potatoes and baby carrots mixed with a little olive oil, thyme, rosemary and chopped shallots). Top the loaf with the other half of the toamto sauce and bake for approximately one hour. Makes four large slices.

Per slice
calories 172
Carbs 9g
Prtein 23.5g
fat 5g
fiber 1.78g
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/05/18, 09:02 AM
Breakfast burger -

Take the amount of extra lean ground beef that you need, add a generous amount of garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper ( I used hot salt because I couldn't find my plain cayenne, grrr). and a generous amount of dried parsley, Mix well with burger, form into patty and cook to desired doneness.

I had it over a thick slice of onion, cooked in the same pan, topped with one egg, over easy, salsa and 1 1/2 oz avocado. Yummy.

My serving was 5 oz beef, with the egg and all the toppings it is approximately 42g protein, 15g cho and 15g fat.

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/01/30, 10:22 AM
Update Shepherd's Pie

I got this from Kraft Food & Family - they have a section where they update and make recipes healthier.

1 1/4 pound red potatoes, cut into chunks
3 large garlic cloves, peeled
1c lowfat cottage cheese
1/2c reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 lb extra lean ground beef
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
4c frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
3/4c bef broth
1 tbsp ketchup

Cover poattoes and garlic with water in a large saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Drain,return to saucepan. meanwhile place cottage cheese in blender/food processor and process until thick and smooth. Add to potatoes in sauce pan, mash to desired consistency. Stir in 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenhiet. Brown ground beef in a large skillet. Stir in the flour, cook one minute. Add vegetables, broth and ketchup; continue cooking 5 minutes.

Spoon meat mixture into 8-inch square baking dish. Cover with mashed poatoes and top with remaining 1/4 cheese. Bake 20 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted.

6 servings
Per serving
290 cal
7g fat (3.5 sat)
55mg chol
420 mg sodium
32g carbs
5g fiber
5g sugar
26g protein
80% daily vit A
25% daily vit C
20% daily calcium
20% daily iron

My whole family liked it and it makes good leftovers for meals the next day!

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/07/30, 07:12 PM
Some great rubs for steak, chicken, prok..whatever kind of meat you like :) Both are from Steve Raichlen's book BBQ Bible - Sauces, Rubs and Marinades

Puerto Rican Pig Powder(Sazon)

This is my daughter's favorite seasoning for oven roasted chicken... but it is also good on steak and..pork . I have also done shrimp on the grill with this seasoning - no complaints!

1/3c coarse salt (kosher or sea)
2 tbsp freshly ground white pepper
2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp dried parsley
1 1/2 tbps ground cumin
1 tbsp drid oregano
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder

Combine the ingredients ina bowl and mix well. transfer to a jar or bag and kep away from heat and light, it will keep for several months. Makes 3/4c

The way I use it - sprinkle it over both sides of chicken pieces before drizzling with a little olive oil and roasting ina hot oven.

Or make a wet rub by mixing a tbsp of sazon with some olive oil and rubbing it into steaks or placing it in a bag with shrimp and then mixing it around.

My other favorite seasoning for steak is:

Central Asian Seasoned Salt - flavors similar to those you might find in traditional Afghan food.

1/4c coarse salt (kosher or sea)
1 tbso cracked black pepper
1 tbsp freeze-dried chives
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp dried mint
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp hot paprika
2 tsp dried garlic flakes
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Combine all, transfer to jar or bag and store away from heat/light. Will keep for several months.

That one is my favorite, mixed with olive oil and rubbed into both sides of steak, let sit about 1/2 hour (time it takes for coals to be good and hot) and then sear steak on both sides - sooo flavorful :)

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/11/20, 12:41 PM
Chef Gordon Ramsey's Ultimate Burger -

1 lb ground sirloin ( I used extra lean ground beef, you could also use lean ground turkey)
1 onion, minced (if you grate it it will make the burgers moister)
1 TBSP ketchup (I use low sugar)
1/4c chopped garlic
1/2 tsp worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp tabasco sauce
1/2 tsp honey mustard

Mix all ingredients, form patties and grill or pan cook.

Yumm

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield