Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 102, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

dry skin with dhea?

michelle9510
michelle9510
United States
2005/11/20, 08:05 PM
I recently started taking dhea 50 mg twice per day. I'm noticing some good results with it as far as my body goes but my skin is horrible. My face is red and scaly and dry. I've upped my moisturizer to eucarin lotion and apply four times per day. That has helped but I still have some real dry patches. Has anyone ever experienced/heard of this?
2005/11/21, 07:02 AM
just out of curiosity why are you taking DHEA of all things and who suggested that you take it?(or was it just your own decision?)...be very careful with this supplement....
michelle9510
michelle9510
United States
2005/11/27, 11:06 AM
It was my own decision to take it. What's wrong with it?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/11/27, 12:00 PM
DHEA has been shown to be very beneficial in women post menapausal symptoms. Hot flashes, night sweats, etc. But the amount is usually 25 mg. DHEA as you know probably is the precursor to test and E, and will mainly convert to whatever hormone is most prevalant in the body. That being said, it will convert to T more readily in women than men. 100 mg. per day does seem awful excessive.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/11/27, 12:05 PM
Oh, and by the way, in answer to your question, yes, it is interesting you are getting dry skin. When testosterone is the dominent hormone before estrogen (and progesterone) levels rise again like before a menstrual cycle, it usually results in oily skin. Such as what happens pre menstual cycle. Progesterone and estrogen
levels rise toward the end of a woman's cycle and then drop off sharply causing a period to materialize.

--------------

michelle9510
michelle9510
United States
2005/11/28, 08:11 AM
Interesting. I'll cut my dose and see what happens.

Thanks!
2005/11/28, 10:06 PM
michelle you still haven't stated the reason for using it...you're 25 years old....

how long have u been working out? how is your nutrition? what is your exercise like? This supplement esp in dosages that you take it can have some nasty side effects on par with prohormones/steroids(maybe not quite as bad)...it's stated right on the label...like I said be very careful....it's a useful supplement for people over 40...but you're way too young to be taking it imo....
michelle9510
michelle9510
United States
2005/12/04, 09:53 PM
I have decided to stop taking dhea. I read some things in a few magazines that said it was good for belly fat reduction, and that's why I was taking it. After reading what menace wrote I started thinking about the sources of my information and decided they weren't very credible. Then I started having trouble with my period and decided that's enough of that. I realize that there is no magic pill and I'm just going to have to reach my goals the old fashioned way. I've only been working out since July. My diet is very clean. And I train very hard with an hour of weights followed with 45 min to an hour of cardio six days per week (I usually have one day out of those six days that I only do 15 min of lifting and 45 min of cardio). I'm getting an elliptical for christmas so I will soon be doing my cardio in the a.m. and weights in the p.m. Anyway, I've lost 20 pounds since july, and have gone from a size 13 to a size six. I guess I was just hoping to speed up the process a little, but going down seven jean sizes is pretty good. Thank you for your concern menace. I really appreciate it.

Michelle
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/12/05, 12:12 AM
If you read those studies correctly, the belly fat reduction ocurred in "older" individuals, if I remember correctly it was 60's and up.

Be careful of what you read, certain supplement manufacturer's are very unscrupulous, and wil leave out parts of studies to sway it toward their advantage.

Being a female, if you are not having post menapausal symptoms, there really is no need for DHEA.

--------------

2005/12/05, 06:56 AM
those are very good results michelle...keep it up...and just be more skpetical when it comes to supplements or things in general....a healthy dose of skepticism is always good with the amount of crap that's out there for consumers to waste their hard earned money and health on....you also hit upon a very important issue: CREDIBILITY....very few sources trully have that.....for example a good study supporting a supplement should be done on a fairly large sample....be double blind....be published in one of the respected journals in whichever area it's in...medical, exercise...etc....and that it's peer reviewed....with secondary studies being able to replicate the findings....the magazines are trash...when it comes to credibility...so I would think of them in the same sentence as easter bunny and santa claus...
Jessica_Spencer
Jessica_Spencer
United States
2005/12/05, 09:42 AM
Here's my suggestion: I've been doing the same thing. There's nothing you can do to keep your skin from getting dry. But you can use a real good moisturizer. I recommend this one: http://www.aslaskin.com/ProductLineDescription.aspx?Category=2
It is called Gerovital H3 and it's 100% natural. You should try it when it comes to dry skin problems.

============
Quoting from michelle9510:

I recently started taking dhea 50 mg twice per day. I'm noticing some good results with it as far as my body goes but my skin is horrible. My face is red and scaly and dry. I've upped my moisturizer to eucarin lotion and apply four times per day. That has helped but I still have some real dry patches. Has anyone ever experienced/heard of this?
=============