Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

bulking up/abs

vwxander
vwxander
United States
2005/09/27, 02:00 AM
Hey, I finally got around to actually going to the gym at least 3 times a week and I had a question so I thought I'd look up this place again.

So from what I've been reading, if you are trying to gain muscle mass, you more or less give up on the whole 6pack idea. Now my questions is, with consistent working out(lifting/cardio) and eating lots to help build the muscles, does your abs stay at least flat? I'm 21, 5'8" and 125lb. Im rather skinny and want to bulk up, just I don't want to gain fat in the belly.

And after I reach the build I like and I go for the 6 pack, won't I lose the muscle mass? Thanks.

Jai

--------------
We\'re the coolest kids and we take what we can get...
2005/09/27, 04:33 AM
yes generally speaking u lose definition while bulking and lose muscle while dieting.....can't do both unless you're jucing

but you can minimize both of these negatives....

if u gain weight slowly, then most of it will be muscle.....whih means don't increase your calories by mroe than 500 a day....take in 1-1.5g of lean protein a day....and stick to mostly complex carbs....except right after a workout when u should eat simple/fast digesting carbs....and eat some healthy fats ....drink 1 gal water....

while dieting....cut no more than 500calories....aim for the upper end of the protein intake....cut calories mostly from carbs.......i suggest you get a fish oil supplement and take 5g daily( i suggest capsules)....
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/09/28, 12:14 PM
When bulking, it is not really possible to keep abs showing well. At best they become blurred. This is due to the nature of what it takes to gain weight, a surplus of calories. Keep working them, they will be there bigger and stronger when you diet.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/09/28, 05:41 PM
or you could always resort to a progressive gains type diet. by this, i mean you will continue adding size, despite minimal, or no fat gain (no fat gain is going to be strict). this process is much slower, but is achievable. more or less, you are just consuming a small amount of calories over your maintenance.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/09/30, 01:48 PM

============
Quoting from bropie:

or you could always resort to a progressive gains type diet. by this, i mean you will continue adding size, despite minimal, or no fat gain (no fat gain is going to be strict). this process is much slower, but is achievable. more or less, you are just consuming a small amount of calories over your maintenance.
=============

Most of us will not live long enough for this to show. Your body unfortunately does not want to build muscle, it is very low priority, it is a load on the body. A few calories over maintnenance will yeild little to no results in muscle gain.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/09/30, 01:51 PM
To add to that, this is the under 25 area. Test levels peak around 25. Normal test levels are between 270-1000 ng./dl. After that we normally lose on average 1% test per year. Now take in less calories, just a tad over maintenance, and this compounds things even more.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/09/30, 02:49 PM
i stand corrected. thanks bb1 for the info :)
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/10/01, 12:22 PM
Don't mean it to come across as you were wrong. Hard to sometimes make a post without sounding like this. You make excellent posts, and I always for one read them with interest.

This is a protocol that we have heard for years, and all of us want to believe that we can do this slow steady gain. But it is at best so slow, visuals never take place and that impatience at the very least sets in. It really is an almost impossiblity to do, on paper it sounds logical and good, but in reality it is much different.

============
Quoting from bropie:

i stand corrected. thanks bb1 for the info :)
=============

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com