Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Multiple Qs'...help please

owennscott
owennscott
United States
2005/09/27, 02:00 AM
Whats up message board, I got a stickler of a question for you. Check this out.

I'm 22, through my childhood I was obsessivly obese, I probably clocked in at 300 lbs even. I tried dieting my whole life it never worked, I would never shed pounds, so as I got older, 19-20'ish, I crash dieted, basicly starved my self.

I lost 130 pounds in 3 1/2 months, taking me to a scrawny 170lbs.
By 20-21 I moved up to around 205-210 and im holding this weight steady ( im 6'1 btw), im unsure of how much I should weigh at this height, but thats not the question, this is an injury post after all.

I recently had a lower disectomy of a disk in my back, and had it replaced with a titanium one, at the age of 22.

This is my 5th week out of surgery, and laying here in bed all the time has made me realize I need to change my body alot mor,e and work for the better, not only for my self, but for my god forsaken ego.

So my question(s) I guess are.

Has my weight loss of 130 pounds made a dramatic impact on my physical health? Did i damage my body doing it?

Has anyone here had back surgery and a replaced disk, if so, were you fine afterwards? Could you continue your average life, were you in pain consantly ext ext? I'm asking this because I can't imagine ever being the same again after this, and Im only 22- so this is frightening.

Also, when would be to early to start excersize after such an event on my back? Can I ever excersize again? I wish to train, not really bulk up to much, but make my guy go away, and achieve visable muscles ( lol ) other then the camoflauged ones. Is a person capable of coming out of back surgery and starting a new era in his life of dedicated training?

I have more questions, but these will do for now.

Thanks to anyone who can help me.
2005/09/27, 05:23 AM
u are asking whether losing 130 lb in 3.5 months could have caused problems for you? do you really expect an answer to that?(lost huge amount of muscle, probably damaged vital organs, have huge nutrient deficiences,etc)....u can most likely messed up the disk with this crash diet....

the best thing u can do is ask your doc how long u should wait before attempting a rehabilitation program.....then when ur doc gives u a go...find a physical therapist and do little by little with him....please don't do anything else to mess u up..chances are u will make things worse if u decide to work out on ur own...

how u'll respond depends ...on many factors....so it's impossible to say...how is the pain? can u walk? how long can u sit for? etc...these are the things u need to think about and consult with ur doctor....or neurosurgeon.....some people experience pain no matter what they seem to do....or require more surgeries......etc....perhaps u may be able to return to a normal life.....although I am not necessarily sure what that means to u....play tackle football or rec basketball? then most likely no....unless being paralyzed doesn't scare u.....hopefully u'll be able to do most other things....

good luck and get well....

owennscott
owennscott
United States
2005/09/27, 04:23 PM
So are you saying I have absolutly no chance of being able to compete on a physical level again? Full contact Martial Arts, football , all of this- I no longer can do it?

Do you have nay experience with people in my situation, have they rehabilitated themselves so that they may be normal?

My pain is no where near as sever as it once was, as I said its only been 5 weeks, and I've been givin 12 weeks to heal according to te doctor.

Somewhere deep down I know theres gotta be a way for me to be able to do these things I want to do, I just need someone to help me find it.

Thanks Menace, and if thats you in that pic on the left...holy shit.
2005/09/27, 06:52 PM
Yes most likely you won't be able to play physical sports again as a precaution if nothing else...u can become paralyzed if something goes wrong....I am guessing your crash diet messed up your whole skeletal structure....you were losing tons of calcium because of it...now bed ridden you're doing the same....

It's good that the pain subsided....take the full 12 weeks to recover...don't rush back to any activities or work...etc....use the whole time to recover fully....there are many boards where people describe no pain at first and they go back to work and it all comes back as bad as before...so just take it easy....ask the doctor how u can maybe become more mobile meaniwhile....whether it's walking to the bathroom with a walker....or sitting each day for a little bit longer.....or whatever else....

I suggest you google.com for other boards....there are many people who share their experiences post a disk operation...whether it was replacement, fusion, or whatever else....

good luck