Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

Body Fat Scale?

freespirit
freespirit
United States
2005/09/06, 06:05 PM
I am looking to purchase a body fat scale. Can anyone give me a recommendation for the most accurate scale please? And anything else I should look for when shopping for one beyond accuracy.

Thanks!
vadwear
vadwear
United States
2005/11/14, 07:46 AM
I got dunked in the water tank before and it said I was 36% fat... that is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO off the mark. I weigh 112 at 5ft tall and I work out 5 days a week, eat clean (most of the time), I am lean and hard. They guy that performed the dunking on me said I needed to weigh 92 pounds to get my body fat down to 18%.. THE GUY IS NUTS! I had my BF tested other ways as well and it always comes to 22-24% (which I want to lower desperately). I am not sure what went wrong with the testing but it was NOT accurate AT ALL! I have breast implants but I was told it should NOT make a difference with the results?? so not sure..Lisa

--------------
If you are tired of your life, your body, yourSELF.. CHANGE IT!
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2005/11/15, 09:59 AM
I've heard good things about the Tanita. I tested one of the higher end ones at a fitness store and the numbers seemed close to what I expected. I think what's important is "weighing" yourself at the same time and insuring your hydrated. The one I tried gave all sorts of extra data as well including level of hydration, LBM, even age based on the numbers (said I was 15yrs younger...almost bought it on the spot:laugh:) It also seems to be the brand that's selling the most, when I've looked around.

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
jakewa3
jakewa3
Canada
2005/11/11, 02:18 AM
I read an article on the web from a study done at the University of Calgary comparing the Tanita scale to the dunking method. It showed that the scales are reasonably accurate to track fatloss but not as a true indicator of body composition, as there is about a 3% variance in readings compared to the dunking method. The Study said the scales with an athlete mode are better and that you should follow the manufacturers recommendations for weighing yourself. For example: no water imediately before weighing, same time of day, take readings for a week and average them out, etc. Search on the web for body fat scales and I'm sure you will find lots of differing opinions on them and the article I mentioned.

============
Quoting from freespirit:

I am looking to purchase a body fat scale. Can anyone give me a recommendation for the most accurate scale please? And anything else I should look for when shopping for one beyond accuracy.

Thanks!
=============