Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Cramps

hotskier13
hotskier13
United States
2005/08/23, 09:12 PM
Why is it that every time I set foot on a treadmill, I get crazy cramps in my side? I generally wait up to five hours after eating, so I very much doubt it's food. Could water be giving me cramps? I always warm up, too. Grrrrr...:angry:

Also any tips on strengthening my ankles would be nice, if ya got em! Thanks.
tiadesai
tiadesai
India
2005/08/30, 05:30 AM
Muscle cramps can be a very painful side effect of exercise. You work out to benefit your body and overall health, and are punished with a sharp pain in your muscles. It’s easy to get frustrated and even apprehensive when a "charley horse" occurs, but they are usually harmless and there are several tricks to help alleviate the pain.

Cramps occur when a muscle contracts and doesn’t relax. They are involuntary and you can often see or feel your muscle twitching. Even after the muscle does relax, it will remain fatigued and possibly sore. Cramps can last anywhere from a few seconds to 25 minutes or more. While some people experience cramps during exercise, they can also happen while sitting or even sleeping. They most commonly occur in the leg, especially in the calf, hamstring and quadricep.

zak786
zak786
United Kingdom
2005/08/30, 06:56 AM
Have bananans..

--------------
\"Liyytttweighttttttt !!! Nuttin but a peanut..\" Ronnie Coleman
2005/08/30, 09:43 AM
you're very likely running low on one of the electrolytes....there are a few of them...the likeliest is potassium...which as zak pointed out is abundant in bananas....however it could be sodium, magnesium, calcium, or a couple others.....when you sweat you lose this needed electrolytes...and drinking water does not replenish them....gatorade works better as it has sodium/potassium in it....tho in fairly small quantities...