Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Enough of shoulders!

princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2005/08/22, 08:23 AM
I recently attended a lecture by a sports medicine physician who explained that even for him the shoulder is incredibly complicated (there are 4 seperate bones, 4 joints and a huge number of muscles involved, not to mention the ligaments tendons and nerves etc)

If one has an injury to the shoulder, there will often be a knock on effect, so that by the time someone presents with shoulder problems there will be more than one abnormality present.

If the doctor at our lecture said it can be difficult to come to a diagnosis, then the chances of getting a reasonable diagnosis from someone on a message board is minimal.

I know I have been guilty of suggesting a diagnosis in the past, but I'll not be doing it again.

**gets off soapbox**

--------------
The path to righteousness is a cycle path
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2005/08/22, 04:32 PM
So you're saying I'm abnormal? Fine I see how it is...I'll remember that.:big_smile:
2005/08/22, 06:35 PM
Stump, if she's not, I am.:big_smile:

Highness, you're exactly right in my experience. They had to repair tears in 3 of the 4 areas plus a bone spur. Had 4 incisions.

--------------
Sometimes life is like herding cats.

Charlie
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2005/08/23, 08:16 AM
Apologies - I think I possibly slept on a pea again last night :)

I stand by what I said, though - if your shoulder is sore see a professional, and don't expect a diagnosis online.

--------------
The path to righteousness is a cycle path
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2005/08/23, 05:19 PM
:laugh::laugh:

Charlie...ain't you sold your business and floated out into the Atlantic yet?

I'm just messing with you princess...however I do agree with you. However no one likes to go to the Dr and be told it's possible they might need surgery. Me I'm afraid to cause I just changed my lifestyle and I'd hate to have to be laid up for any length of time and not able to go to the gym. I think that's my biggest cause for delay, even though I know if I don't it'll only get worse, catch 22 I guess.