Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

Breathing problems

timmstar
timmstar
Australia
2005/04/01, 02:17 AM
hey some times i find it really hard to "Breathe" like deep breaths, ive been to the doctors and he said its apparently nothing prolly thinks im making it up.. an its all in my head so he rekons anyway screw him, what could be causes of breathing problems? could u get bad breathing if ur cardio /heart is not trained enuf or if u eat too much food??? it happens from time to time apparently like asma atttacks where i cant breathe for a while its like breathing thru a straw... could my pipe be small or compressed or something? dno just ideas for u guys to help.. so yeah its like asma except i aint got asma so what other causes could ther b???
timmstar
timmstar
Australia
2005/04/01, 02:18 AM
just wondering if i possible could have an under developed muscle or lungs to my size or heart /cardio or if eating too much could be a cause... thnx
bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/04/01, 07:39 AM
You might be exhibiting unbalanced hyper-inhalation. This is when you mouth-breathe, breath-heave and/or gasp to get the air in you need to support your exertions. This kind of charged breathing can develop respiratory problems due the constriction of the breathing muscles, reduced breathing volume, and internal coordination restrictions such as presented in sports induced asthma
timmstar
timmstar
Australia
2005/04/01, 07:48 AM
so basically in my lamers terms
that means ??
bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/04/01, 07:55 AM
If you're taking quick deep or shallow breaths, slow it down and try a more balanced, deep breath. Remember to breathe on exertion too when you;re doing sets. Give this a try, but if you find you're still having problems, I'd suggest seeing a doctor
timmstar
timmstar
Australia
2005/04/01, 08:17 AM
well
i find that helps some times but it also feels like when i cant breathe i just cant help breathing more it like stresses ya to just breathe more then i try n relax meself n calm just just letit happen naturally it runs a little more smoothly then but i dont exactly know why it never happened to me b4 like dis..:S?
Artemis-75
Artemis-75
Canada
2005/04/01, 07:31 PM
You know what - honestly I'd look for a second opinion if I were you.
I had open heart surgery when I was 4 years old and now have a pacemaker (no sympathy allowed - I quite enjoy being a cyborg!!)
My point is that breathing problems can result from any number of underlying possibilities. With heat concerns insufficient oxygen profusion can cause breathing problems/shortness of breath. I'm not trying to scare you, just don't write it off without checking first.
I find I have trouble breathing if I eat too much and that has nothing to do with my heart! :laugh::laugh: Just my stuffed belly pressing on my diaphragm making it hard to breath!
Athsma could be a possibility. Anxiety is also a possibility. If you notice it gets worse the more you think about it could be anxiety.

Anhow - best option - a better doc. Ask around and find a doc your friends/family can recommend.

Just my 2-bits.:love:
timmstar
timmstar
Australia
2005/04/01, 07:55 PM
well if it was anxiety why would i be suddenly stressing over my breathing now and not before? thats what is wierd...

anyway thanks cyborg:big_smile: you aint bad for someone who aint human:P
Artemis-75
Artemis-75
Canada
2005/04/02, 02:36 PM
Anxiety is a WEIRD little creature actually. It can start out of no where and the more you think about something the worse it can get. I have that problem when I try to swim... :(
I nearly drown about 10+ years ago and ever since I truly can't swim in a pool or in a river. I don't feel scared or anything - I simply can't breath. No panic, no worry but my lungs refuse to work properly! The ocean and lakes for some stupid reason aren't as bad. To conquor my odd anxiety I learned to scuba dive. Funny thing is - still can swim in pools or rivers without my gear! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Anyhow - hopefully it'll turn out to be nothing. Maybe just a phase as your body adjusts to the working out... Who knows.

Anyhow - as always that's just my 2-bits. :big_smile:

:love::dumbbell::love:
Lifter_Puller
Lifter_Puller
United States
2005/04/12, 01:11 AM
heres how I breathe, professional singers use this method.

Flex your abs, slowly inhale and don't expand your stomach or chest. Alot of people naturally exaggerate their body movements when breathing, but its not really necessary. Controlled deep breaths are the most beneficial. Try it out breathing slowly and it'll eventually become second nature. I've got it down enough to take over a minute to inhale/exhale without my body moving or even making a sound. The silent part is just useful to singers, but practicing this throughout the day might help solve your troubles. Good luck!
Artemis-75
Artemis-75
Canada
2005/04/21, 10:18 AM
Hey - just had a funny from my doc!
Make sure you're "regular". believe it or not if you're constipated the food you have eaten fills your abdominal cavity as it backs up in your system. Because there is only so much room inside your body the pressure can actually affect your diaphragm making it more difficult to get that satisfying deep breath!

I know someone will probably call BS, but very recently I started having concerns and was amazed that a couple ex-lax made all the difference in the world!!! (laughing at my self as I blush with embarassment for admiting this!)

Maybe that's all it is. If nothing else it's a little comic relief for anyone reading this!

E.