Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Back Health

bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/03/27, 11:10 AM
Alright heres the situation. I have an exaggerated s-curve to my back, which i believe to be kyphosis. It's almost like the thoracic portion of my back is out far, and the lumbar portion is in too far. I find it throws off my abdominals on the front as well, and exaggerates my stomach. For awhile, I couldn't really even walk through a mall for the day without experiencing some sort of back pain, or stand around for too long. But I've been weight training for awhile now, and have strengthened my back significantly to not experience this random pain. I believe it was from poor posture as a kid, or maybe genetically passed on..
Anyway, treatment. If any of you have any experience with something like this, your input would be greatly appreciated. I think the key to it will be primarily strengthening my spinal erectors and my multifidis muscles. Also doing some work on my rear delts (to compensate for my chest, and pull my shoulders back). I think I am going to seek a medical opinion soon, not as it is bothering me, but just for a second opinion. I find its a big confidence buster when i take my shirt off or anything, as the rest of my body is developing well with the strength training, but when i look at my back development, it just doesn't seem to fit. Like I said, any information would be appreciated..

--------------
\"Pain is weakness leaving the body\"
mmaibohm
mmaibohm
United States
2005/03/27, 01:43 PM
I have it also it can be caused by weight. Also it can be a condition refered to as sway back.

--------------
I am that
which must be feared, worshipped and adored. The world is mine
now and forever.No one holds command over me. No man. No god. I am ANIMAL! and that is enough.
mmaibohm
mmaibohm
United States
2005/03/27, 01:46 PM
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=247&topcategory=Spine this is a link about kyphosis. I am bad my back goes the other way so I have a very deep small of my back.

--------------
I am that
which must be feared, worshipped and adored. The world is mine
now and forever.No one holds command over me. No man. No god. I am ANIMAL! and that is enough.
bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/03/27, 02:24 PM
yeah, the small of my back is the same

--------------
\"Pain is weakness leaving the body\"
GetnFitin05
GetnFitin05
United States
2005/03/29, 08:59 AM
My spine was a complete S, I have had surgery and a metal rod put into straighten the curve. I was told if i didnt get the rod put in, my lungs would have caved in. I have had 3 major back surgerys. I am very fortunate to be able to do some light lifting at this time. I do believe that a healthy living has helped with my back problems. I suggest a doctor to take a look at your curve. Good luck! ~Shannon~